To promote interest in library issues and librarianship worldwide; to help coordinate international activities within the American Library Association, serving as a liaison between the International Relations Committee and those members of the Association interested in international relations; to develop programs and activities which further the international objectives of ALA; and to provide hospitality and information to visitors from abroad.
The International Relations Round Table (IRRT), a membership unit within the American Library Association (ALA), was established by the ALA Council in 1949 as the Round Table on Library Service Abroad.
Initiatives & Projects
Free Links Program - An IRRT Emerging Leaders Project Providing Access to Free Professional Development Opportunities for ALA members around the world.
IRRT Blog - Please contribute. If you want to post please contact Joan Weeks at: weeks[@]cua.edu.
IRRT's 60th Anniversary - 2009 marked the 60th Anniversary of the founding of the International Relations Round Table. To celebrate the richness of relationships developed over the years between U.S. librarians and other colleagues abroad, the IRRT leadership embarked on a Sixty for Sixty campaign to create an IRRT endowment.
Printable Brochure with application form (opens in a new window)
- IRRT Officer.s Manual- New 3rd Revised Edition - Approved ALA IRRT Executive Board Midwinter Denver 2009 (a PDF opens in a new window)
International Sustainable Library Development Interest Group (ISLD) in the News!
We are pleased that this issue of Colorando Libraries has an article about ISLD entitled, "Catch the International Library Development Bug at ALA: It is Highly Contagious." This issue also contains articles about library development in Ethiopia, Nicaragua, and Nigeria as well as about Sister Libraries, and why one might wish to participate in IFLA.
Featured websites of the month
- Global Studies E-Journal now available: Global e (opens in a new window)
- New-IRRT ALA Student Chapter Affiliates: Open letter about how to join
- Want to be a global librarian? See the new Guide to Being a Global Librarian (PDF)
- See profiles of: IRRT Notable Librarians
Communicate with the IRRT
- Share Program Information: International Program Announcement Form (a PDF file opens in a new window)
- IRRT Blog! Engage, Communicate, Participate. IRRTBlogspot
Campaign for the Worlds Libraries (opens in a new window)