International Relations Office (IRO)
50 E. Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611-2795
International Phone: +1 312-280-3201
Inside USA: 1-800-545-2433 ext. 3201
Fax: +1 312-280-4392
The mission of the International Relations Office (IRO) is to increase ALA's presence in the global library community, to implement ALA policies concerning international librarianship, to promote greater understanding of international librarianship and international library issues within ALA, and to manage international library activities on behalf of the ALA.
To accomplish its mission the IRO coordinates ALA activities in support of official ALA delegations to international events such as book fairs and congresses; promotes international library exchanges and partnerships; recruits international librarians to become members of ALA and attend ALA conferences; responds to international inquiries concerning library issues and activities in the United States; serves as a point of contact for ALA's routine communication with international organizations to which ALA belongs, including IFLA; and provides support for the ALA International Relations Committee (IRC) and the International Relations Round Table (IRRT).
Initiatives, Projects & Highlights
Subscribe to International AL Direct! - International AL Direct focuses on ALA’s international members and those interested in international issues and trends, featuring news about libraries and librarians around the world.
National Library Week-Slovak Style - Read how Slovakia celebrated its 14th annual National Library Week, March 18-22, 2013, which was modeled on the U.S. National Library Week.
American Library in Paris nominations - The International Relations Committee of the American Library Association announces a call for nominations for ALA Representative to the Board of Trustees of the American Library in Paris.
Call for ALA Representatives to U.S. National Commission of UNESCO - The ALA International Relations Office is seeking qualified applicants to serve as a representative in the National Commission of UNESCO, which is comprised of up to 100 members appointed by the Secretary of State. ALA representatives to the U.S. National Commission of UNESCO will serve a two-year term. Deadline: June 1, 2013
Call for ALA Representatives to the Board of U.S. Committee of the Blue Shield - ALA is seeking nominees to serve as the ALA Representative to the U.S. Committee of the Blue Shield for a two year term beginning on September 1, 2013, ending on August 31, 2015. The Blue Shield is the cultural equivalent of the Red Cross. It is the symbol specified for marking cultural property in the 1954 Hague Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict. The mission of the U.S. Committee of the Blue Shield (USCBS) is to promote the protection of cultural property during armed conflict and provide an emergency response when needed. Deadline: June 1, 2013
International meetings and programs at 2013 ALA Annual Conference - Preview a list of meetings and events for the International Relations Committee (IRC), the International Relations Round Table (IRRT), and other ALA Offices hosting programs with an international focus. NOTE: All dates and times are tentative. Schedule will be updated in mid-April. Please see Final Program Guide to confirm locations.
Haiti Library Relief Fund - This website provides information on how you can donate to help libraries and archives recover, as well as reports on damage to cultural institutions in Haiti, how to volunteer you expertise, and additional efforts of ALA and other organizations
Chile Library Relief Fund - Many libraries have been damaged or destroyed. Initial reports from 200 libraries have found that nearly 50% have been damaged, and at least six completely destroyed by the earthquakes and the subsequent tsunami. Donate to help libraries in Chile recover.
Japan Library Relief Fund - ALA has set up this site to help take in donations from the United States for Japan Library Association, who is leading the effort to help provide services and support.
ALA 2015 International Strategic Plan (PDF File) (Word File)- Adopted by the International Relations Committee (IRC) and the International Relations Round Table (IRRT) during ALA's Annual Conference in New Orleans.
BIB Members registration form for continuing education courses - ALA Online Continuting Education Courses for BIB members.
IRRT's 60th Anniversary - To celebrate the richness of relationships developed over the years between U.S. librarians and other colleagues abroad, the IRRT leadership is embarking on a Sixty for Sixty campaign to create an IRRT endowment. Join us in this celebration!
IRRT Free Links Project - An Emerging Leaders Project providing access to free professional development opportunities for ALA members around the world. (opens in a new window)
International Relations Committee (Standing, Council) - IRC sets ALA priorities in the international area, promoting a global exchange of ideas, knowledge, personnel, and literature. Committee members represent Africa, East Asia and the Pacific, Eurasia and Central Asia, Near East and South Asia, Europe and the Americas.
International Relations Round Table - IRRT is your link to ALA. Round table members organize international programs for ALA Conferences, sponsors international discussion lists, match sister libraries, and produce the quarterly International Leads newsletter.
International Events & Meetings
ALA-FIL Free Pass Program - ALA and the Guadalajara International Book Fair are partnering for the ninth year to provide support for ALA members to attend the 25th Guadalajara International Book Fair (FIL) from November 30 - December 8, 2013. For a list of exhibitors at the book fair, please visit the Guadalajara Book Fair site.(opens in a new window)
International Events and Conferences - Current list of events and conferences throughout the world. If you wish to include an international event, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
IFLA 2013 Conference - August 17-23, 2013 in Singapore (opens a new window)
- International Associations and Organizations - List of library associations around the world.
- IFLA Website - The International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions is the leading international body representing the interests of library and information services and their users. It is the global voice of the library and information profession.(opens a new window)
- IFLA GLAD Programme - GLAD is designed to strengthen the individual skills and competencies of library association officers to operate library Associations through a mentor-mentee program.
- International Donations & Shipment of Books - If you are interested in donating books to countries overseas, there are several organizations that distribute books to other countries.
- Campaign for the World's Libraries - The Campaign for the World's Libraries is a public education campaign of the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions, the American Library Association and libraries around the world to speak loudly and clearly about the value of libraries and librarians in the 21st century. It is designed to showcase the unique and vital roles played by public, school, academic and special libraries worldwide. Join today! (opens a new window)
ALA International Resolutions
International Resolutions - The American Library Association deplores the destruction of libraries, library collections and property, and the disruption of the educational process by that act, whether it be done by individuals or groups of individuals and whether it be in the name of honest dissent, the desire to control or limit thought or ideas, or for any other purpose. (ALA Policy 53.7 Intellectual Freedom- Destruction of Libraries)
ALA has replaced the old Online Communities service with ALA Connect, offers a virtual, collaborative, workspace online. Any member can create new communities (unofficial ALA groups) without any staff assistance, so the site will combine association work with communities of interest in one place.
Wikis (following pages will open in a new window)
- International Relations Round Table (IRRT) - This wiki is one tool that seems ideally suited to help the Executive Board and committee chairs share ideas, draft documents and collaborate without endless email exchanges. It is hoped that as members edit documents they will find this wiki a valuable forum where all can participate in a collegial atmosphere.
- Sister Libraries Initiative - To promote the concept of a global community of libraries, the American Library Association (ALA) is encouraging U.S. libraries to form partnerships with libraries in other countries.
- Global Outreach Database - The purpose of this database is to track participation of North American librarians in the worldwide library community allowing you to search international activities of librarians.
- Library Student Twinning Project - The objective of this wiki is to connect students studying at library schools in the United States and Canada, (which ALA accredits), with library students in programs in other parts of the world.
- Twinning Programme-IFLA (GLAD) - A mentor-mentee program designed to strengthen the individual skills and competencies of library association officers to operate library Associations.
Discussion Lists (following pages will open in a new window)
International Discussion Lists - List of international discussion groups and listservs.
ALAWorld (IRRT) - The purpose of the ALAWorld Listserv is to foster international cooperation and understanding between libraries by providing a forum for sharing news, including educational and exchange opportunities, about libraries around the world and international entities affecting libraries.
- Go to http://lists.ala.org (opens a new window)
- Click on “Login” (First time users will need to get a password)
- Click on "List of lists"
- Click on ALAWORLD
- Select “Subscribe”
SYMPA-ALA Mailing List Service - This server provides you access to ALA's mailing lists. You can perform subscription options, unsubscription, archives, and list management. (First time users will need to get a password)
Facebook, Twitter, and Weblogs
****También puede seguirnos en nuestra página de Twitter en español. ****
IRRTBlogspot - Engage, Communicate, Participate! (opens a new window)
ALA Weblog Service - This blog automatically aggregates all posts from all other ALA blogs. This allows you to easily track everything that is posted on this system. (opens a new window)
Flickr - Take a look at some of the pictures that our members have taken throughout the years, including the International Librarians Reception and IRRT's 60th Anniversary Celebration. (opens a new window)
Michael Dowling - Director
Tel: 312.280.3200 / 800.545.2433, ext. 3200
Delin R. Guerra - Program Officer
Tel: 312.280.3201 / 800.545.2433, ext. 3201