Code of Conduct for SCHOLCOMM email list
ACRL provides the email list firstname.lastname@example.org as a service to its members and others interested in issues related to scholarly research and communication. The purpose is to facilitate the meaningful exchange of information and ideas. Subscribers are encouraged to use the group to seek answers to questions, to ask others how they have done something, to inquire about program activities, to post job openings or conference announcements, or even to share “success” stories.
It is not expected that everyone will agree with all posts. Frank exchanges of views are encouraged; however, this email list is not intended as a forum for specific personal or political debates. While posting a dissenting view in a polite and professional manner is acceptable, further exchanges between individuals should be undertaken in personal email to preserve the integrity of the email list’s main purpose.
- We expect people posting to this list will exhibit courtesy in behavior and speech, disagreeing respectfully and listening carefully to a range of viewpoints, while having meaningful dialogue about differences. If list members consistently post outside of the purpose of the discussion list or engage in disrespectful or belittling behavior towards other list members, the list monitor and the Research and Scholarly Environment Committee Officers will decide how to address the situation. This may include the possibility of removing a subscriber from the list.
- The ACRL Guide to Policies & Procedures section 12.17 on Political Discussion states: "Due to ALA's tax exemption as a 501(c)(3), ALA resources cannot be used to support or oppose any candidate for public office. Nor can they be used to link to other sites that contain such support or opposition. Neither can ALA's resources be used to suggest or support boycotts or to make defamatory remarks." This information was distributed to all ALA discussion lists in 2008 and is part of the subscription information for new discussion list members. Repeated attempts to promote or disseminate political views could result in removal from the list.
- It is not appropriate to share copies of articles directly via the SCHOLCOMM email list. Many contract terms or license agreements prohibit sharing articles in this way. Please use your local ILL service if at all possible. We do not want to place either this list or the ACRL at risk by using this avenue to bypass ILL, and those of you providing copies of articles possibly place your institution at risk too.
- Announcements of conferences, workshops, new publications, and position openings appropriate to the topic of the list are allowed.
- All postings must be free of copyright restrictions that limit distribution.
- File attachments should not be used; to prevent the spread of viruses, etc., any attachments are automatically stripped from your message before posting.
Messages sent to the SCHOLCOMM list are posted automatically, without review or moderation. Please contact the discussion list owners, if you have any questions about the use of the discussion list.
Subscribing, Posting and Unsubscribing
SCHOLCOMM is running on the Sympa software on the American Library Association servers. You can subscribe, change your subscription settings, post, and unsubscribe by logging into the web interface: http://lists.ala.org/sympa/info/scholcomm
- Always try to invite commentary and thoughts from others who might have different experiences, motivations and beliefs than you.
- Always respond respectfully and professionally.
- Be open to the possibility that you might change your mind.
- Be open to ambiguity and competing truths.
- It is not the intention of the monitor to censor or edit posts and messages are posted automatically, without review and approval. Obvious spam and political speech, as defined above, will be addressed or possibly removed from the list.