Charge and Work
To prepare a PLA slate of candidates for inclusion in the ALA election ballot.
Deliverables and outcomes:
- Become familiar with PLA Board of Directors current composition and upcoming open positions in order to understand what will make the ideal slate for election
- Research involvement of PLA members-at-large who have served as speakers and committee members and in other volunteer positions to help identify possible candidates
- Connect with potential candidates to explain required steps to run for election, roles and responsibilities of Board service, and to assess their interests and barriers to running and serving if elected
- Confirm a slate of candidates by November, typically consisting of two candidates for PLA President, and at least two candidates for each director-at-large vacancy
- Communicate regularly with the PLA Executive Director and other staff as required regarding status of candidates
- Increase diversity among PLA candidates by applying equity, diversity, inclusion and social justice principles to the nominating process
Expected time commitment:
- Attend virtual meetings convened by the chair and scheduled routinely during the vetting and candidate selection process (2–6 hours)
- Learn about current PLA board composition, active members, and other background via web research and talking to staff and member leaders (2–4 hours)
- Reach out to potential candidates to discuss their skills and interest (2–6 hours)
Desired skills, knowledge, or experience:
- Ability to function well as a team, participate in civil and respectful discussion and debate, and lead group deliberations to successful decisions
- Knowledge of PLA’s strengths, opportunities, recent history, and areas for improvement
- Through PLA and professional experience, access to and knowledge of public library network from which potential candidates are drawn
- Ability to represent PLA to potential candidates in a thoughtful and positive manner
- Ability to participate on the committee with discretion, confidentiality, and objectivity, and without a personal agenda
- Broad knowledge of the public library field and current/emerging issues facing the profession, including those impacting diverse library types and library professionals
Displaying active committee roster as of 02/23/2024. Last retrieved on 02/23/2024. Members can log in and refresh the page to view full contact information for committee members.
The Nominating Committee consists of a minimum of four members, up to 10 members, appointed from the membership at large and led by a chair.
Established at the request of the PLA Board.
To be a thriving, vibrant organization, PLA must have committed and active committee members. If you are interested in serving on a committee, please read and fill out the online volunteer form.
- Volunteers are accepted on an ongoing basis.
- Appointments are made by the PLA President and President-Elect, primarily in the spring.
- Volunteers must be members of ALA and PLA.
Stay connected with fellow PLA members in the PLA Member Community on ALA Connect. PLA personal membership is required to participate.