PLA at 2023 ALA Annual Conference
June 22–27, 2023
PLA invites you to submit an education program proposal for the 2023 ALA Annual Conference & Exhibition, taking place June 22–27 in Chicago! ALA Annual will focus on cutting-edge trends, resources, and creative solutions for libraries of all kinds. If you have developed successful best practices or strategies that you’d like to share with your colleagues and peers, please submit your proposal by September 16, 2022. For more information, please visit https://2023.alaannual.org/call-education-program-proposals.
PLA 2024 Conference
April 3–5, 2024
We'll see you in Columbus, OH for PLA 2024! Offered biennially, the PLA Conference is the premier event for public libraries, drawing thousands of library workers, trustees, friends, and library vendors from across the country and around the world. This multi-day event offers top-quality education programs, social events that include author luncheons and networking receptions, and a bustling exhibits hall featuring the latest in products and services.
- The call for program proposal for the PLA 2024 Conference will open in spring 2023. Sign up to be alerted when the call for proposals opens.
- Registration for the PLA 2024 Conference will open in fall 2023. Sign up to receive an email notification when registration opens.
Past Conferences and Preconferences
Links to past events are provided here because handouts and/or archived recordings may be available.
PLA 2022 Conference
March 23–25, 2022
Thanks to everyone who attended the PLA 2022 Conference, either in-person in Portland or virtually! We hope you’ve been energized by the top-rated programs and inspiring speakers both the in-person PLA 2022 Conference and PLA 2022 Virtual Conference had to offer. Take a look back at the highlight videos on the conference homepage, and order your PLA 2022 Conference memorabilia at the ALA Gift Shop! Join the PLA Conference Facebook group to stay connected with other attendees, ask questions, and share resources. The next PLA Conference will be:
- PLA 2024 Conference, April 3–5, 2024 in Columbus, OH
PLA at 2022 ALA Annual Conference
June 23–28, 2022
Look back at Annual! PLA hosted 14 educational programs dedicated to public library workers at the 2022 ALA Annual Conference & Exhibition in Washington, DC, June 23–28. In addition, we resumed our celebratory Member Breakfast on Saturday, June 25, where PLA members enjoyed a complimentary breakfast, reconnected with friends and colleagues, and were inspired by our keynote speaker White House Correspondent April Ryan. The 2022 ALA Annual Conference offered top-quality education and best practices; featured thought-leaders; and special programming for library professionals looking to further develop their libraries, communities, and careers. Learn more at https://2022.alaannual.org/.
- Everybody Wants a New Library: Planning, Funding, and Constructing Inspiring Spaces
- Branching Out: Pushing Our Libraries To More Deeply Connect With Communities of Color
- Hidden Heroes: Social Justice Through Local History & Community Engagement
- Marketing your small library: a little investment can go a long way
- Building the Library’s Digital Lifeline: Expanding Digital Equity and Access in Philadelphia
- Library Outreach Programming for Expectant Parents and Parents of Newborns
- Building Organizational Capacity for Community-Led Programs in Public Libraries
- Deaf Culture: Libraries Connect - A Library Strategy for Inclusive Deaf Community Engagement
- IMLS Library Grants that Go the Distance: Projects that Span the LSTA-NLG Continuum
- Connecting to Diverse Communities for Health Literacy
- Break Through an Organizational Legacy Structure that is No Longer Working
- Ethnographic Design: Creating Culturally Centered Library Spaces
- Patron Response Framework: Responding with Empathy, Kindness, and Love to difficult situations
- Diversifying Your Library Services Through Sensory Spaces