PLA at 2023 ALA Annual Conference
June 22–27, 2023
Registration is open! The 2023 ALA Annual Conference & Exhibition, taking place June 22–27 in Chicago, brings together thousands of librarians and library staff, educators, authors, publishers, friends of libraries, trustees, special guests, and exhibitors. ALA Annual will focus on cutting-edge trends, resources, and creative solutions for libraries of all kinds.
PLA 2024 Conference
April 3–5, 2024
PLA is headed to Columbus, OH, April 3–5, 2024, to host the premier event for public libraries—PLA Conference! In a profession that is constantly changing and adapting to new challenges, public library workers need the tools and resources to stay a step ahead. That's why PLA offers over 100 top-quality education sessions—curated by public libraries for public libraries—that foster innovation, inclusion, and collaboration.
Registration for the PLA 2024 Conference will open in fall 2023. Sign up to receive an email notification when registration opens.
Past Conferences and Preconferences
Links to past events are provided here because handouts and/or archived recordings may be available.
LibLearnX: The Library Learning Experience
January 27–30, 2023
New Orleans, LA
LibLearnX: The Library Learning Experience is back, and this time it’s happening in person in New Orleans, January 27–30, 2023! At ALA’s newest conference offering, the focus is on innovative learning. You’ll have access to more than 120 education sessions on a variety of topics presented in formats to match your individual learning style and objectives. Here are just a few of the sessions you can look forward to:
- All Together Now: Changing Lives through Library Adult Education and Learning Resources
- An Open Access Future: Leveraging Wikimedia for Increased Visibility
- Building a Practical Toolkit for Censorship and Challenges at your Public Library
- Career Navigators in Libraries: a Person-Centered Emerging Service Model
- Finding Your Public Library Leadership Pathway
- How to Start Conversations about Justice and Equity
- Innovative Literacy Classes for New Americans
- Leverage Federal Funds to Advance Digital Equity in Your Community
- Not Your Typical Summer Camp: Engaging Teens in Responsible and Responsive Advocacy
Check out the full list of sessions on the LibLearnX website.
PLA at 2022 ALA Annual Conference
June 23–28, 2022
Look back at Annual! PLA hosted 14 educational programs dedicated to public library workers at the 2022 ALA Annual Conference & Exhibition in Washington, DC, June 23–28. In addition, we resumed our celebratory Member Breakfast on Saturday, June 25, where PLA members enjoyed a complimentary breakfast, reconnected with friends and colleagues, and were inspired by our keynote speaker White House Correspondent April Ryan. The 2022 ALA Annual Conference offered top-quality education and best practices; featured thought-leaders; and special programming for library professionals looking to further develop their libraries, communities, and careers. Learn more at https://2022.alaannual.org/.
- Everybody Wants a New Library: Planning, Funding, and Constructing Inspiring Spaces
- Branching Out: Pushing Our Libraries To More Deeply Connect With Communities of Color
- Hidden Heroes: Social Justice Through Local History & Community Engagement
- Marketing your small library: a little investment can go a long way
- Building the Library’s Digital Lifeline: Expanding Digital Equity and Access in Philadelphia
- Library Outreach Programming for Expectant Parents and Parents of Newborns
- Building Organizational Capacity for Community-Led Programs in Public Libraries
- Deaf Culture: Libraries Connect - A Library Strategy for Inclusive Deaf Community Engagement
- IMLS Library Grants that Go the Distance: Projects that Span the LSTA-NLG Continuum
- Connecting to Diverse Communities for Health Literacy
- Break Through an Organizational Legacy Structure that is No Longer Working
- Ethnographic Design: Creating Culturally Centered Library Spaces
- Patron Response Framework: Responding with Empathy, Kindness, and Love to difficult situations
- Diversifying Your Library Services Through Sensory Spaces
PLA 2022 Conference
March 23–25, 2022
Thanks to everyone who attended the PLA 2022 Conference, either in-person in Portland or virtually! We hope you’ve been energized by the top-rated programs and inspiring speakers both the in-person PLA 2022 Conference and PLA 2022 Virtual Conference had to offer. Take a look back at the highlight videos on the conference homepage, and order your PLA 2022 Conference memorabilia at the ALA Gift Shop! The next PLA Conference will be:
- PLA 2024 Conference, April 3–5, 2024 in Columbus, OH