Membership in PLA
Make a difference in your career, your library, and your profession with a personal membership in the Public Library Association (PLA), a division of the American Library Association, and the only national organization dedicated to the diverse and unique world of public libraries.
PLA Personal Member Benefits
PLA provides a wealth of resources dedicated to helping you build career-changing knowledge and networks.
Discounts on Professional Development
- A 20% discount on online education, including webinars and courses
- A 10–30% discount on professional development events like PLA Conference and PLA preconferences at ALA Annual Conferences and Midwinter Meetings
- A 10% discount on ALA and PLA products in the online ALA Store
Publications and Resources
- A free subscription to Public Libraries, the official print journal of PLA (a $65 value). Published six times a year, each issue includes peer-written and peer-reviewed feature articles and columns on professional trends and best practices in the public library field
- Exclusive access to the PLA E-News, the members-only e-mail newsletter with information professional development, grants, jobs, and free resources for public library professionals
Networking and Participating
- Volunteer opportunities with PLA committees and advisory groups that work on critical issues for the association and profession, such as technology, legislation and advocacy, leadership development, intellectual freedom, conferences, and more
- Publishing opportunities in Public Libraries and on Public Libraries Online, or through developing a unique professional publication
- Connect @ PLA, an online Community of Practice dedicated to members and designed to foster discussion and ideas about interests specific to public libraries
- Annual calls for conference program proposals
PLA is also committed to working on behalf of its members to move the profession forward and represent the interests of public librarians and public libraries everywhere. And as a PLA member, you will be connected to a network of more than 9,000 professionals who, like you, are dedicated to the future of public libraries.
PLA Membership Dues
Please note: You must be a personal member of the American Library Association (ALA) to join PLA. Membership rates listed below do not include the price of ALA membership. Information about ALA dues is available online.
- Regular member: $72
- Student member: $31
- Non-salaried or retired member: $51 This category is for inactive, retired, or unemployed, or for full or part-time in a library service position at a salary less than $30,000 a year.
- International member: $72
- Trustee and associate members: $72 This category includes those who are not employed in library and information services or related activities, but through their personal commitment and support, promote library and information services. Members of governing boards, advisory groups, Friends organizations, and special citizen caucuses, and/or individuals interested in participating in the work of PLA.
Your institution can also show its support for public libraries and receive access to valuable professional resources for its staff by becoming an Organizational Member in PLA.
Paying Dues in Installments
Personal members whose annual dues total $135 or more in any combination of ALA, divisions, sections, and round tables may choose to pay in two equal installments when joining with a credit or debit card. Learn more about paying dues in installments.
How To Join
There are three convenient ways to join PLA/ALA.
- Fill out a secure form online.
- Print and fill out a membership form and fax or mail it in.
- Call 1-800-545-2433 and press 5 for Member Services.
If you have questions, please contact Kara O'Keefe, PLA Membership Marketing Manager, at email@example.com or 312-280-5027.