Membership in PLA
Make a difference in your career, your library, and your profession with a personal membership in the Public Library Association (PLA), a division of the American Library Association, and the only national organization dedicated to the diverse and unique world of public libraries.
PLA Personal Member Benefits
PLA provides a wealth of resources dedicated to helping you build career-changing knowledge and networks.
Discounts on Professional Development
- A 20% discount on online education, including webinars and courses
- A 10–30% discount on professional development events like PLA Conference and PLA preconferences at ALA Annual Conferences and Midwinter Meetings
- A 10% discount on ALA and PLA products in the online ALA Store
Publications and Resources
- Free access to the new PLA Member Library (login required*), which includes new titles in the PLA Quick Reads series beginning with the recently published Building and Operating a Digital Media Lab
- A free subscription to Public Libraries, the official print journal of PLA (a $65 value). Published six times a year, each issue includes peer-written and peer-reviewed feature articles and columns on professional trends and best practices in the public library field
- Exclusive access to the PLA E-News, the members-only e-mail newsletter with information professional development, grants, jobs, and free resources for public library professionals
Networking and Participating
- Complimentary registration for the PLA Member Welcome Breakfast, an event at ALA Annual that brings members together to enjoy a meal, hear from a special keynote speaker, and celebrate PLA award winners
- Volunteer opportunities with PLA committees and advisory groups that work on critical issues for the association and profession, such as technology, legislation and advocacy, leadership development, intellectual freedom, conferences, and more
- Publishing opportunities in Public Libraries and on Public Libraries Online, or through developing a unique professional publication
- Connect @ PLA, an online Community of Practice dedicated to members and designed to foster discussion and ideas about interests specific to public libraries
- Annual calls for conference program proposals
PLA is also committed to working on behalf of its members to move the profession forward and represent the interests of public librarians and public libraries everywhere. And as a PLA member, you will be connected to a network of more than 9,000 professionals who, like you, are dedicated to the future of public libraries.
*You will be asked to login to confirm your current PLA personal membership. To log in, click "Login" in the upper right corner and then enter your ALA website login and password. If you’ve forgotten your login information, you'll be able to retrieve your username/password or create a login if you don't have one from the "Login" page.
PLA Membership Dues
Effective September 1, 2016–August 31, 2017
Please note: You must be a personal member of the American Library Association (ALA) to join PLA. Membership rates listed below do not include the price of ALA membership. Information about ALA dues is available online.
|Non-salaried or retired member
This category is for inactive, retired, or unemployed, or for full or part-time in a library service position at a salary less than $30,000 a year.
|Trustee and associate members
This category includes those who are not employed in library and information services or related activities, but through their personal commitment and support, promote library and information services. Members of governing boards, advisory groups, Friends organizations, and special citizen caucuses, and/or individuals interested in participating in the work of PLA.
Your institution can also show its support for public libraries and receive access to valuable professional resources for its staff by becoming an Organizational Member in PLA.
Paying Dues in Installments
Personal members whose annual dues total $135 or more in any combination of ALA, divisions, sections, and round tables may choose to pay in two equal installments when joining with a credit or debit card. Learn more about paying dues in installments.
How To Join
There are three convenient ways to join PLA/ALA.
- Fill out a secure form online.
- Print and fill out a membership form and fax or mail it in.
- Call the ALA Member and Customer Service Center at 1-800-545-2433 and press 5.
If you have questions regarding membership dues or becoming a member, please contact the ALA Member and Customer Service (MACS) Center at email@example.com or 1-800-545-2433 and press 5. MACS representatives are available to assist you Monday–Friday, 8:30 AM–4:30 PM Central.