Information Literacy Frameworks and Standards Committee
Association of College and Research Libraries
May 2008; Revised March, 2010; Revised July 2016; Revised March 2018
Please note: The Checklist serves as a general guide for committees developing and reviewing Framework Companion Documents. It is the responsibility of the ACRL committee or unit submitting the draft standards to develop a timeframe and related deadlines for efficiently navigating the checklist and to progress the draft document through the process. It is not the responsibility of the assigned Information Literacy Frameworks and Standards Committee (ILFSC) liaison to assign or monitor Committee deadlines relevant to the Checklist. Please consult the document “Tips for Developing Framework Companion Documents” for further information.
For the review of existing Framework Companion Documents, follow steps one through six. If changes in the document are required continue following the steps in the checklist.
- Notify ILFSC of the intention to develop or review the Framework Companion Documents.
- If the document is a collaboration with an organization or group outside of ACRL (such as the Society of American Archivists), contact the ACRL Executive Director in order to get approval from the ACRL Board.
- Charge a committee or task force to develop the standards.
- ILFSC liaison is assigned to the committee or task force.
- Review relevant literature and accreditation standards for the discipline.
- Consult with subject specific library associations including the ALA units, as relevant.
List associations consulted: ______________________________________________________________________
- Consult with related faculty and associations, as relevant.
List persons or associations consulted:______________________________________________________________
- Draft document and submit to the leadership of your ACRL unit for initial review.
- Receive comments and revise draft document as appropriate.
- Distribute draft broadly and solicit comments from librarians, library association, disciplinary faculty and organizations.
List publications/lists and dates draft was distributed: ___________________________________________________
- Receive comments and revise draft as appropriate.
- Submit to your unit’s leadership for review.
- Once unit leadership approves, submit to ILFSC for review along with a completed “Transmittal Sheet for Draft Standards and Guidelines”
- ILFSC approves or returns for revisions.
- After approval is given, ILFSC will forward the document and the transmittal sheet to the ACRL Standards Committee (SC).
- SC approves or returns for revisions.
- After the document is approved by the SC, they will submit the document and a final recommendation to the ACRL Board for its action.
- Once ACRL Board approves, publish and announce Framework Companion Documents officially. Options for announcing standards include:
- Publishing the document on the unit’s web site.
- Creating a link to the document on the ACRL Standards and Guidelines web site as a sub-listing underneath the Framework for Information Literacy Competency in Higher Education.
- Submitting a short news article with the URL to C&RL News.
- Submitting for inclusion in the Instruction Section’s Information Literacy in the Disciplines wiki.
- Submitting a short news article to other relevant professional organizations.