By learning more about the characteristics of youth experiencing homelessness in your community, library workers can more effectively provide the assistance they need. Instead of asking them to come to you, venture beyond the four walls of your library and meet teens where they are! Through a social worker and librarian perspective, webinar participants will gain an understanding of how to recognize the needs of youth experiencing homelessness and how to work with community partners to alleviate these challenges.
- Identifying needs of homeless teens in your community
- How to create connections between library services, homeless teens, and community services
Who Should Attend
- Teen services librarians
- Public library workers
- School library workers
- Volunteers and community members who work with teens
Kelly Czarnecki, teen services librarian
Ethan Randall, social worker
YALSA members: Free
Non-Members: $19 for individual webinar purchase
$49 for a set of any three on-demand webinars
$99 for a group registration (ten logins) for this one webinar
Check, money order, purchase order or credit card must accompany registration to reserve space in this course. Fax registrations are accepted for credit card and purchase orders only
How to Register
YALSA members: Log into the YALSA e-Learning Library (YeLL) and access it for free!
Non-Members: Order your on-demand recording now using our registration form.
- Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2; Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise; or Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate (32-bit edition, or 64-bit edition with 32-bit browser)
- 1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Microsoft® Windows® XP or Windows 7; 2GHz Intel Pentium 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Windows Vista®
- Mozilla Firefox 2.x or 3.x (first choice); Microsoft Internet Explorer 6, 7, or 8; or Google Chrome (last choice, as it occasionally interferes with speaker microphones)
- Adobe Flash Player 10.1 or later
- 500MHz PowerPC® G3 or faster or 1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor
- Mac OS X v10.4–10.6 (Intel); Mac OS X v10.4 (PowerPC)
- 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
- Mozilla Firefox 2.x or 3x; Safari 2.x; or Google Chrome
- Adobe Flash Player 10.1
- Apple devices: iOS 3 or 4, created for Apple iPhone; compatible with Apple iPad and iPod Touch (3G or 4G connection recommended)
- Android™ devices: Android 2.2; Adobe AIR® for Android; compatible with HTC Nexus One and Motorola Droid (3G or 4G connection recommended)
Adobe Connect runs off a Flash platform. Meeting participants need to set their computer settings to allow plug-ins.
Audio for Connect meetings is provided using VOIP. Meeting participants need to have a computer headset with microphone. Microphones and speakers that are built into computers are usable, but if they are used then other webinar participants in Connect will actually be able to hear people speaking through the computer's speakers as well as through the microphone of the person speaking, which creates an echo or makes the sound quality fuzzy. Here are some better options to explore:
- YALSA staff use this for webinars: http://tinyurl.com/34vueqz
- If you have a head set you use with your phone, this may work, but you’ll want to test it out prior to any official webinar to be sure.
Test Your Connection
Conduct a test to ensure your computer is set up with the appropriate tools to participate in YALSA’s webinar. To do this, click on the Test Meeting Connection URL located here: http://my.adobe.acrobat.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm
If you have never participated in a webinar before, you can watch an overview of a webinar.
Contact Nicole Gibby-Munguia, YALSA's Program Officer, Continuing Education, at email@example.com or 1-800-545-2433, ext. 5293.