Turning the Page Online
“I cannot recommend it highly enough. It has changed not just how I advocate for our library, but how I think about things here in general. It is a good investment of time and energy.”
— Read what others have to say about this training.
Invest In Your Library's Future
Turning the Page Online is a FREE library advocacy training course developed and presented by the Public Library Association (PLA) with generous support from The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. This highly interactive training program is designed to give librarians, library staff, trustees, and supporters the skills and confidence they need to advocate successfully on behalf of their libraries.
In this self-paced course, library staff and supporters will learn how to create and tell their library's story, deliver effective presentations, develop a compelling case for support, and build and sustain partnerships along the way. This online training offers participants a rich array of learnings. Participants will have the opportunity to mix and match modules, ultimately resulting in the completion of an Advocacy Work Plan. Participants of Turning the Page Online are encouraged to come with a specific, self-determined advocacy goal for their library.
There are 11 courses in Turning the Page online:
- Getting Started (Creating an Advocacy Plan for Your Library)
- Follow Me (Enhancing Your Project Leadership)
- Your Unique Role (How to Maximize Your Community Influence)
- Public Perceptions of Libraries (What the Research Tells Us)
- Creating Your Library Story (It’s Easier Than You Think)
- It’s All About You (How to Make a Lasting Impression)
- Building Relationships(How to Make and Keep Them)
- Make it Memorable (How to Sell Your Story and Get Results)
- Staying on Track (Managing and Measuring Your Advocacy Project)
- Show Me the Money (Tips for Making Public Funding Requests)
- What’s Next? (Preparing Your Advocacy Plan for Implementation)
In order to receive a certificate of completion, Getting Started, What’s Next and four electives must be completed. To complete these six Turning the Page online courses will take four-five hours of seat time; however, you do not need to do the training in one sitting. The program will remember where you left off and direct you back to your spot when you log-in again.
Start the training any time you wish! To register for Turning the Page Online, go to the registration page.
For more information about Turning the Page Online, please email email@example.com.
- Who can participate?
- What do previous participants think about the course and what are some success stories?
This program is the companion to Turning the Page 2.0, PLA's six-week, facilitated version of the same training, which is not being offered at this time by PLA. For information about Turning the Page 2.0, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn about local offerings and/or potential facilitators.