Award and Frequency
A plaque and the following Honorary Member Benefits:
- ALA membership dues waived for life
- Complimentary conference registration for all ALA Midwinter Meetings and Annual Conferences for life
- Special invitations to conference events
- Life membership in all ALA divisions (as desired)
- Complimentary copies of all ALA division journals (as desired)
- Listing in the special Honorary Member section of the ALA Handbook of Organization web listing
- Listing on the ALA VIP list to receive complimentary registration and preferential housing assignments at all future ALA Midwinter Meetings and Annual Conferences.
To nominate an individual to Honorary Membership, complete the ALA Honorary Member Nomination Form. The form and all attachments must be received by September 2, 2013. Late nominations will not be considered.
Submit nomination packets to:
Executive Board Secretariat
American Library Association
50 East Huron Street
Chicago, IL 6061
Office of ALA Governance
50 East Huron
Chicago, IL 60611
Displaying active committee roster as of 04/19/2014. Last retrieved on 04/19/2014. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
- September 1: Deadline for submission of nominations
- October: ALA Executive Board reviews applications at its Fall meeting
- January (two weeks before the ALA Midwinter Meeting): ALA Executive Board forwards recommendations to ALA Council
- ALA Midwinter Meeting: Council elects Honorary Members
- June (ALA Annual Conference): Newly elected Honorary Members receive award plaques at the conference Opening General Session