Resources and Bibliographies
The resources on this page are offered to provide guidelines, assistance, examples and materials related to multicultural and diversity resources and collections.
The Multicultural Library
- Civics and Citizens Toolkit http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/files/Toolkit_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf
- Defining "Multiculturalism" http://archive.ifla.org/VII/s32/pub/multiculturalism-en.pdf
- IFLA/UNESCO Multicultural Library Manifesto http://www.ifla.org/publications/iflaunesco-multicultural-library-manifesto
Affiliate Organizations/Committees Related to Diversity
(the complete list is at: http://www.ala.org/groups/affiliates/affiliates/current)
- The African American Studies Librarians Section of ACRL http://www.ala.org/acrl/aboutacrl/directoryofleadership/sections/afas/acr-afaec
- The American Indian Library Association http://ailanet.org/
- American Library Association Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Round Table (GLBTRT) http://www.ala.org/glbtrt/glbtrt
- Asian, African, and Middle Eastern Section (AAMES) http://www.ala.org/acrl/aboutacrl/directoryofleadership/sections/aames/acr-aamec
- Asian Pacific American Librarians Association http://www.apalaweb.org/
- Association of Tribal Archives, Libraries, and Museums http://www.atalm.org/
- Black Caucus of the American Library Association http://www.bcala.org/
- Chinese American Librarians Association http://cala-web.org/
- Office for Diversity http://www.ala.org/offices/diversity
- Racial and Ethnic Diversity Committee http://www.ala.org/acrl/aboutacrl/directoryofleadership/committees/racialethnic
- REFORMA (The National Association to Promote Library & Information Services to Latinos and the Spanish Speaking) http://www.reforma.org/
- Seminar on the Acquisition of Latin American Library Materials http://salalm.org/
- The Chinese Immigrant Experience in America: Selected Titles for Children and Young Teens (2006) http://www.ala.org/emiert/sites/ala.org.emiert/files/content/emiebulleti...
- Database of Award-Winning Children's Literature (Librarian's site where you can search for titles by ethnicity, country, multi cultural and language)
- Internet Public Library's Pathfinder: Multicultural Literature for Children http://www.ipl.org/div/pf/entry/48493
- Reading is Fundamental's Multicultural Booklists http://www.rif.org/us/literacy-resources/booklists/multicultural-books.htm
- Recent Children's Books on Arabs and Arab Americans: A Selected Bibliography (2007) http://www.ala.org/emiert/sites/ala.org.emiert/files/content/emiebulleti...
- Teen Latino Titles http://reforma.org/teen_titles
- Children's Books by Chinese American Authors: An Annotated Bibliography http://cala-web.org/node/170
- Colorín colorado: Helping Children read...and succeed (a bilingual site with booklists and resources focusing on multicultural and ELL materials, themes and literature) http://www.colorincolorado.org/index.php?langswitch=en
- A Critical Bibliography on North American Indians for K-12 http://anthropology.si.edu/outreach/Indbibl/
- Multicultural Children's Literature: A Selected Bibliography (2008) http://www.ala.org/emiert/sites/ala.org.emiert/files/content/emiebulleti...
- The Rainbow List is a bibliography of current books for young readers from birth through age 18 dealing with the myriad of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered or questioning issues. http://glbtrt.ala.org/rainbowbooks/
- Read Around the World with your Ears - Audiobook lists for kids and teens, courtesy Hedberg Public Library, Janesville, Wisconsin
- A Recommended Reading List of Chinese Materials - Adult, Teen and Children http://cala-web.org/node/169
The Coretta Scott King Book Awards Illustrations Gallery. Given to African American authors and illustrator for outstanding inspirational and educational contributions, the Coretta Scott King Book Award titles promote understanding and appreciation of the culture of all peoples and their contribution to the realization of the American dream of a pluralistic society. http://www.ala.org/emiert/coretta-scott-king-book-awards-illustrations-g...
Pura Belpré Award. The Pura Belpré Award, established in 1996, is presented to a Latino/Latina writer and illustrator whose work best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth. http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/belpremedal
- American Indian Youth Literature Book Awards http://ailanet.org/activities/american-indian-youth-literature-award/
- Schneider Family Book Award. The Schneider Family Book Awards honor an author or illustrator for a book that embodies an artistic expression of the disability experience for child and adolescent audiences. http://www.ala.org/awardsgrants/schneider-family-book-award
- Stonewall Book Awards. The Stonewall Book Awards are the first and most enduring award for GLBT books. http://www.ala.org/glbtrt/award
Many selections are listed at the Internet Public Libraries site http://www.ipl.org/IPLBrowse/GetSubject?vid=13&cid=1&tid=7096&parent=6996
Ultralingua Online Dictionary (many languages) http://www.ultralingua.com/onlinedictionary/dictionary
- Spanish - English Dictionary for Librarians http://eubd1.ugr.es/
- Majstro (36 languages) http://www.majstro.com/Web/Majstro/adict.php
RUSA Guidelines for Library Services to Spanish-Speaking Library Users http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=specialpop&template=/ContentMana...
- Diversity Standards: Cultural Competency for Academic Libraries http://www.ala.org/acrl/standards/diversity
- Guidelines for the Development and Promotion of Multilingual Services and Collections http://www.ala.org/rusa/resources/guidelines/guidemultilingual
- Multicultural Communities: Guidelines for Library Service http://www.ifla.org/files/assets/library-services-to-multicultural-popul...
Resources for Library Instruction and Reference Services for Latin American Studies http://salalmbi.pbworks.com/w/page/10075461/FrontPage
- Library Instruction for Diverse Populations Bibliography http://www.ala.org/acrl/aboutacrl/directoryofleadership/sections/is/iswe...
- ALA Family Literacy Focus : Reading is Grand Toolkit http://www.bcala.org/Family%20Literacy/readingisgrantoolkit.pdf
- TalkStory - Sharing Stories, Sharing Cultures http://www.talkstorytogether.org/
- First Nation Collections http://soda.sou.edu/tribal.html
- Latin American Collections and Statistics http://salalm.org/collection-development-resources/institutional-informa...
- American Native Press Archives http://ualr.edu/sequoyah/index.php/home/research/american-native-press-archives-serials-list/
- Black Issues Book Review http://aalbc.com/writers/black.htm
- Educational Media Reviews Online http://libweb.lib.buffalo.edu/emro/
- QBR: The Black Book Review http://www.qbr.com
- Small Presses of Color (compiled by the Cooperative Children's Book Center at the University of Wisconsin-Madison http://ccbc.education.wisc.edu/books/pclist.asp
- Diversity Counts (a comprehensive study of gender, race and age in the library profession) http://www.ala.org/offices/diversity/diversitycounts/divcounts
- Diversity in Collection Development http://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/librarybill/interpretations/diversitycollection
- How to Serve the World @ Your Library http://www.ala.org/offices/olos/toolkits/servetheworld/servetheworldhome