Resources and Bibliographies
The resources on this page are offered to provide guidelines, assistance, examples and materials related to multicultural and diversity resources and collections.
The Multicultural Library
- Civics and Citizens Toolkit http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/files/Toolkit_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf
- Defining "Multiculturalism" http://archive.ifla.org/VII/s32/pub/multiculturalism-en.pdf
- IFLA/UNESCO Multicultural Library Manifesto http://www.ifla.org/publications/iflaunesco-multicultural-library-manifesto
Affiliate Organizations/Committees Related to Diversity
(the complete list is at: http://www.ala.org/groups/affiliates/affiliates/current)
- The African American Studies Librarians Section of ACRL http://www.ala.org/acrl/aboutacrl/directoryofleadership/sections/afas/acr-afaec
- The American Indian Library Association http://ailanet.org/
- American Library Association Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Round Table (GLBTRT) http://www.ala.org/glbtrt/glbtrt
- Asian, African, and Middle Eastern Section (AAMES) http://www.ala.org/acrl/aboutacrl/directoryofleadership/sections/aames/acr-aamec
- Asian Pacific American Librarians Association http://www.apalaweb.org/
- Association of Tribal Archives, Libraries, and Museums http://www.atalm.org/
- Black Caucus of the American Library Association http://www.bcala.org/
- Chinese American Librarians Association http://cala-web.org/
- Office for Diversity http://www.ala.org/offices/diversity
- Racial and Ethnic Diversity Committee http://www.ala.org/acrl/aboutacrl/directoryofleadership/committees/racialethnic
- REFORMA (The National Association to Promote Library & Information Services to Latinos and the Spanish Speaking) http://www.reforma.org/
- Seminar on the Acquisition of Latin American Library Materials http://salalm.org/
- Best Multicultural Children's Books of 2016 http://www.csmcl.org/best-books-2016. From the Center for the Study of Multicultural Children's Literature. Printable pdf [http://media.wix.com/ugd/8d4b3b_38b25e4a9eb4484bbde467f5db8c011a.pdf]Children's Books by Chinese American Authors: An Annotated Bibliography http://cala-web.org/node/170
- The Chinese Immigrant Experience in America: Selected Titles for Children and Young Teens (2006) http://www.ala.org/emiert/sites/ala.org.emiert/files/content/emiebulleti...
- Colorín colorado: Helping Children read...and succeed (a bilingual site with booklists and resources focusing on multicultural and ELL materials, themes and literature) http://www.colorincolorado.org/index.php?langswitch=en
- A Critical Bibliography on North American Indians for K-12 http://anthropology.si.edu/outreach/Indbibl/
- Database of Award-Winning Children's Literature (Librarian's site where you can search for titles by ethnicity, country, multi cultural and language)
- International Children's Digital Library (ICDL) http://en.childrenslibrary.org the largest collection of children’s books from around the world in their original languages.
- Internet Public Library's Pathfinder: Multicultural Literature for Children http://www.ipl.org/div/pf/entry/48493
- Multicultural Children's Literature: A Selected Bibliography (2008) http://www.ala.org/emiert/sites/ala.org.emiert/files/content/emiebulleti...
- The Rainbow List is a bibliography of current books for young readers from birth through age 18 dealing with the myriad of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered or questioning issues. http://glbtrt.ala.org/rainbowbooks/
- Read Around the World with your Ears - Audiobook lists for kids and teens, courtesy Hedberg Public Library, Janesville, Wisconsin
- Reading is Fundamental's Multicultural Booklists http://www.rif.org/us/literacy-resources/booklists/multicultural-books.htm
- Recent Children's Books on Arabs and Arab Americans: A Selected Bibliography (2007) http://www.ala.org/emiert/sites/ala.org.emiert/files/content/emiebulleti...
- A Recommended Reading List of Chinese Materials - Adult, Teen and Children http://cala-web.org/node/169
- School Library Journal Resources for Diversity in Kid and YA Lit http://www.slj.com/resources/slj-resources-for-diversity-in-kid-and-ya-lit/#_
- Teen Latino Titles http://reforma.org/teen_titles
- We Need Diverse Books. Includes lists of books, resources, media press kits. We Need Diverse Books™ is a grassroots organization of children’s book lovers that advocates essential changes in the publishing industry to produce and promote literature that reflects and honors the lives of all young people. http://weneeddiversebooks.org/
- Where to Find "Diverse" Children's Books: Lists, Reviews, and Your Recommendations. https://medium.com/embrace-race/where-to-find-diverse-childrens-books-5bc8c8bc971b#.264j9qaov
Blogs/Facebooks/Tumblar Pages Related to Diversity and Children's Literature
- ALSC Day of Diversity - Step it Up (Feb. 3, 2015) https://readingspark.wordpress.com/2015/02/03/alsc-day-of-diversity-step-it-up/
- American Indians in Children's Literature http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/
- Crazy QuiltEdi. 2015 Debut Authors of Color https://campbele.wordpress.com/2015/01/11/2015-debut-authors-of-color/ See right column for many other resources for authors of color
- DiversifYA: In your YA, diversifying your stories http://www.diversifya.com/
- Diversity Collections Advocacy post (Feb. 3, 2015) in Publisher Weekly. "Diversity: One Thing YOU Can do Now http://blogs.publishersweekly.com/blogs/shelftalker/?p=1502
- EMIERT Resources and Bibliographies http://www.ala.org/emiert/usefullinks/links
- Global Literature in Libraries Initiative https://www.facebook.com/groups/globallit/ The Global Literature in Libraries Initiative strives to raise the visibility of world literature for adults and children at the local, national and international levels. It intends to do so by facilitating close and direct collaboration between translators, librarians and publishers, because they believe translators are uniquely positioned to help librarians provide support and events to engage readers of all ages in a library framework that explores and celebrates literature from around the world. Web page at: https://glli-us.org/
- Reading While White:Allies for Racial Diversity and Inclusion in Books for Children and Teens http://readingwhilewhite.blogspot.com/2016/09/september-spotlight-on-ownvoices-as.html
- We Need Diverse Books http://weneeddiversebooks.tumblr.com/ We Need Diverse Books™ is a grassroots organization of children’s book lovers that advocates essential changes in the publishing industry to produce and promote literature that reflects and honors the lives of all young people.
- ALA "Many Voices" http://www.ala.org/offices/diversity/manyvoices (booklists and events)
- ALA Youth Media Awards http://www.ala.org/awardsgrants/awards/browse/yma?showfilter=no
- American Indian Youth Literature Book Awards http://ailanet.org/activities/american-indian-youth-literature-award/
- Association for Library Services to Children: http://www.ala.org/alsc/
- Best Multicultural Children's Books of 2016 http://www.csmcl.org/best-books-2016. From the Center for the Study of Multicultural Children's Literature. Printable pdf [http://media.wix.com/ugd/8d4b3b_38b25e4a9eb4484bbde467f5db8c011a.pdf]
- Book, Print and Media Award http://www.ala.org/awardsgrants/awards/browse/bpma?showfilter=no (Look for Pura Belpre award, Coretta Scott King Award, and other cultural group awards)
- The Coretta Scott King Book Awards Illustrations Gallery. Given to African American authors and illustrator for outstanding inspirational and educational contributions, the Coretta Scott King Book Award titles promote understanding and appreciation of the culture of all peoples and their contribution to the realization of the American dream of a pluralistic society. http://www.ala.org/emiert/coretta-scott-king-book-awards-illustrations-g...
- Pura Belpré Award. The Pura Belpré Award, established in 1996, is presented to a Latino/Latina writer and illustrator whose work best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth. http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/belpremedal
- Schneider Family Book Award. The Schneider Family Book Awards honor an author or illustrator for a book that embodies an artistic expression of the disability experience for child and adolescent audiences. http://www.ala.org/awardsgrants/schneider-family-book-award
- Stonewall Book Awards. The Stonewall Book Awards are the first and most enduring award for GLBT books. http://www.ala.org/glbtrt/award
Many selections are listed at the Internet Public Libraries site http://www.ipl.org/IPLBrowse/GetSubject?vid=13&cid=1&tid=7096&parent=6996
Ultralingua Online Dictionary (many languages) http://www.ultralingua.com/onlinedictionary/dictionary
- Spanish - English Dictionary for Librarians http://eubd1.ugr.es/
- Majstro (36 languages) http://www.majstro.com/Web/Majstro/adict.php
- EMIERT Guidelines for Outreach to Immigrant Populations (PDF)
- RUSA Guidelines for Library Services to Spanish-Speaking Library Users http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=specialpop&template=/ContentMana...
- Diversity Standards: Cultural Competency for Academic Libraries http://www.ala.org/acrl/standards/diversity
- Guidelines for the Development and Promotion of Multilingual Services and Collections http://www.ala.org/rusa/resources/guidelines/guidemultilingual
- Multicultural Communities: Guidelines for Library Service http://www.ifla.org/files/assets/library-services-to-multicultural-popul...
Resources for Library Instruction and Reference Services for Latin American Studies http://salalmbi.pbworks.com/w/page/10075461/FrontPage
- Library Instruction for Diverse Populations Bibliography http://www.ala.org/acrl/aboutacrl/directoryofleadership/sections/is/iswe...
- ALA Family Literacy Focus : Reading is Grand Toolkit http://www.bcala.org/Family%20Literacy/readingisgrantoolkit.pdf
- TalkStory - Sharing Stories, Sharing Cultures http://www.talkstorytogether.org/
- First Nation Collections http://soda.sou.edu/tribal.html
- Latin American Collections and Statistics http://salalm.org/collection-development-resources/institutional-informa...
- American Native Press Archives http://ualr.edu/sequoyah/index.php/home/research/american-native-press-archives-serials-list/
- Black Issues Book Review http://aalbc.com/writers/black.htm
- Educational Media Reviews Online http://libweb.lib.buffalo.edu/emro/
- QBR: The Black Book Review http://www.qbr.com
- Small Presses of Color (compiled by the Cooperative Children's Book Center at the University of Wisconsin-Madison http://ccbc.education.wisc.edu/books/pclist.asp
- Diversity Counts (a comprehensive study of gender, race and age in the library profession) http://www.ala.org/offices/diversity/diversitycounts/divcounts
- Diversity in Collection Development http://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/librarybill/interpretations/diversitycollection
- How to Serve the World @ Your Library http://www.ala.org/offices/olos/toolkits/servetheworld/servetheworldhome