- To serve as a source of information on recommended ethnic collections, services, and programs.
- To organize task forces, institutes, and workshops to carry out the functions of the Round Table as defined in the petition.
- To develop for Annual conferences forums and symposia programs that deal with the key issues of ethnicity and librarianship.
- To maintain a liaison with the Office for Literacy and Outreach Services and cooperate with other ALA units, including the ethnic caucuses, in joint projects for the betterment of outreach services.
- To disseminate the work of the Round Table through a program of publications. There is an urgent need for an effective exchange of information in the Ethnic area in the form of a Newsletter to be financed by the nominal dues for the Round Table, e.g., $20.00.
The Ethnic Materials Information Exchange Task Force (EMIE) of the Social Responsibilities Round Table (SRRT) was elevated to the status of Round Table at the 1982 American Library Association Annual Conference in Philadelphia. The decision by the Committee on Organization (COO) was regarded by EMIE members attending ALA Philadelphia as a step towards upgrading future EMIE programs in cooperation with other agencies interested in library work, with and for the benefit of ethnic groups all over the country. The petition to COO had been presented by David Cohen, past EMIE coordinator, and was supported by the Council Committee on Minority Concerns and the Advisory Committee to the Office of Library Outreach Services. Approval by ALA Council came in January 1983.
At the Annual Meeting held in Washington, D.C., on June 29, 1998, EMIE changed its name to Ethnic and Multicultural Information Exchange Round Table (EMIERT) to reflect the more encompassing tasks now undertaken by this Round Table.
Precursors of EMIERT
The American Association of School Librarians (ASSL) organized an Ad Hoc Committee on Treatment of Minorities in Library Materials with David Cohen as the Coordinator (Chair) for the years 1967-1972.
Ethnic Materials Information Exchange Task Force of the Social Responsibilities Round Table (SRRT) founded with co-coordinators David Cohen and the Clearinghouse for Reference and Acquisition Information on Minorities (SRRT).
If you are already a member of the American Library Association, please consider adding membership in EMIERT when renewing your membership. Annual dues for the Round Table are $20.00 (individual membership), $10.00 (student membership), or $25.00 (organizational membership). You can download an EMIERT membership brochure here. If you are interested in joining ALA and the Round Table for the first time, please see the ALA Membership page for additional information.
EMIERT People and Leadership
Initiatives and Projects
If you would like to volunteer to be on a committee, please fill out this form:
- https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1GPushNoAQD31qX5kHOdg_pl-2AzSYZnB_6VYRt5o4HE/viewform. Please add your committee of preference to the form in the text box if the committee is not currently listed on the form.
- Current committees and task forces are listed on this page http://www.ala.org/emiert/emiertpeople.
Office for Literacy and Outreach Services (OLOS)
American Library Association
50 E Huron St
Chicago, IL 60611-2729
Work: (312) 280-4294
Fax: (312) 280-3256