Division and Membership Promotion Committee Charge supports YALSA's first goal of the three-year strategic plan to strengthen engagement efforts with all those involved in teen library services by cultivating member connections and increasing membership.
Below are goals to be accomplished by 2025:
- Welcoming new members.
- Communicate with volunteers regarding the status of their application.
- Work with staff to implement a recruitment, retention, and recovery plan for members of YALSA.
- Assist in identifying why YALSA does not retain some members, especially members of color or other minority groups, and address those challenges.
- Develop additional ways to recognize and thank volunteers for their contributions.
- Identify existing campaign launches as a starting point to recruit new members.
- To ensure that online content mirrors actual benefits and brainstorm opportunities to improve the presentation.
Function: To work with staff to develop and pursue an aggressive and continuous campaign to recruit and retain members for YALSA; to promote the association to colleagues and to key partners as defined in the YALSA Implementation Plan; to promote and maintain good relations with existing members through activities such as the member booth at conferences, recognition of member anniversaries, and outreach to lapsed members. YALSA's DMP Chair serves as the Division's official liaison to ALA’s Membership Committee and New Members’ Round Table. Term: July 1, through June 30
Committee Size: 7 virtual members, including chair. (The chair or appointed designee coordinates with ALA's Membership Committee and New Members' Round Table. )
Date of Establishment: January 1975; revised July 1987, March 2011, March 2018
Date of Completion: Continuing
- Current membership in YALSA
- To accomplish work in a virtual environment taskforce members must be competent users of digital tools, including but not limited to Google docs, Skype, social media and ALA Connect.
- Thorough knowledge of YALSA’s products and services
- Thorough knowledge of YALSA membership structure, dues rates, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of volunteer opportunities in YALSA
- Strong marketing skills
- Good interpersonal skills
For information on the responsibilities of committee/jury/taskforce members, visit YALSA's Handbook
Term: December 1 through June 30 *Note: Members are eligible to serve a second term.
History: Established at Midwinter, 1975, as the Membership Promotion Committee, the committee became Division Promotion and its function was revised at Annual, 1987. The function again was changed in 1993 as recommended by the Organization and Bylaws Committee, to delete cooperation with the Public Relations Committee, which had been dissolved in 1992. In January 2000 Division Promotion was merged with Membership and became Division and Membership Promotion. In March 2011, YALSA updated the committee's function statement and qualifications.
Staff Liaison: Letitia Smith