Function: To work with YALSA’s Communications Specialist prior to the conference to create and disseminate online marketing materials that promote YALSA’s presence at the ALA Midwinter Meeting. To plan and implement YALSA local arrangements activities in close cooperation with YALSA’s Program Officer for Conferences & Events, including assisting on-site with logistics for YALSA programs and overseeing teen participation for the conference.
- Current membership in YALSA
- In order to accomplish work year-round in a virtual environment, members must be competent users of digital tools, including but not limited to wikis, Skype, and Google Hangouts
- Geographic proximity to the Midwinter Meeting
- Ability to attend the Midwinter Meeting
- Excellent marketing skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledge of local attractions, transportation options, restaurants, etc.
Term of Office: six months
Youth Participation Coordinator Charge: The Youth Participation Coordinator serves on the Committee and works directly with those members who are coordinating conference programs at both Midwinter and Annual that want to include youth participation. The Youth Participation Coordinator identifies and works with local library staff to locate local teens and works with YALSA's Program Officer to make arrangements for the teens to attend and participate in designated YALSA conference events. The Youth Participation Coordinator may also recruit teens for participation in other YALSA activities, including publications, special projects, and web-based initiatives.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Throughout the year prior to the conference the committee works with YALSA’s Communications Specialist to create and disseminate marketing materials that promote YALSA’s presence at the conference.
- The committee works with YALSA’s Communications Specialist in Feb. to set up and provide initial content for the conference page on YALSA’s wiki
- After early bird registration opens, write YALSAblog posts and articles to other publications, such as YALSA’s e-newsletter, to provide members with a rationale for attending the conference, offer tips for finding funding and support, promotethe event in general and build interest in YALSA events. These promotional messages continue from Sept. through early January.
- Promotes YALSA’s conference activities to colleagues in their community, state and region by distributing marketing materials at local library events and through electronic means.
- Recommend or evaluate potential locations for YALSA events, such as the YALSA Happy Hour or Past Presidents’ Lunch.
- Serve as hosts/hostesses for conference programs and special events, such as the Morris & Nonfiction Reception
- The committee has no responsibility for YALSA Board Meetings or for individual committee meetings.
- Work with the Division & Membership Promotion Committee to provide assistance staffing the YALSA Booth during the time the exhibits are open.
- Identify at least one local member to provide support for every YALSA program. This volunteer may be asked to: a) greet participants as they come to the area; b) distribute packets and/or handouts during the sessions; c) keep the entrance area tidied up; d) distribute and pick up evaluation forms; e) assist the program coordinator and/or speakers with unforeseen tasks.
- The Chair is responsible for acknowledging the assistance of local businesses and vendors who have contributed to the YALSA programs with appropriate "thank you notes" with copies to the YALSA office. The Chair is also responsible for providing staff with a list of those persons who should be acknowledged directly from the YALSA office.
Staff Liaison: Nichole O'Connor