Established in 2018, the annual award will provide up to $3,000 to one recipient to cover research related expenses (including travel to conferences relevant to dissertation research) and is funded by YALSA's Leadership Endowment. The award aims to encourage research on teens, learning and libraries, specifically research that aligns with YALSA's National Research Agenda, and/or research that investigates any aspect of YALSA’s Teen Services Competencies for Library Staff.
- Be a current, personal membership in YALSA/ALA
- Be a current doctoral candidate in good standing pursuing research on teens, learning and libraries in a doctoral degree-granting institution that supports research related to teens, learning, or libraries
- have doctoral dissertation proposal accepted by the institution or by their dissertation advisor.
Other eligibility requirements may also apply. Applications are due March 1 of each year.
Submissions will be judged on merit with emphasis on the following:
- Potential significance of the research in relation to YALSA’s National Research Agenda and/or Teen Services Competencies for Library Staff
- Validity of methodology and proposed methods of analysis
- Plan for use of funds (appropriate uses include but are not limited to: travel to conduct research or present research at conference(s), incentives for study participants, transcription services, purchase data analysis software)
- Originality and degree to which the proposal addresses an unaddressed or under-addressed area of research relating to YALSA’s National Research Agenda and/or Teen Services Competencies for Library Staff
- Clarity and completeness of the proposal
- Presentation of a convincing plan for completion in a reasonable amount of time (1-2 years)
YALSA’s Research Agenda includes these five priority areas:
- Priority Area 1: The Impact of Libraries as Teen Formal and Informal Learning Environments
- Priority Area 2: Library Staff Training, Skills and Knowledge
- Priority Area 3: Equity of Access
- Priority Area 4: Cultural Competence, Social Justice and Equity
- Priority Area 5: Community Engagement
Applications are due March 1 of each year.
Questions should be directed to Letitia Smith at email@example.com or at: 800/545-2433 x 4390.