The ALA Trustee Citation, established in 1941 to recognize public library Trustees for distinguished service to library development, honors the best contributions and efforts of the estimated 60,000 American citizens who serve on library boards. It is presented during the Opening General Session on June 24 at the ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. Attendance of the recipient is preferred; if this is not possible, the library director may attend on the Trustee's behalf. Expenses for attending must be borne by the recipient(s) or their library organizations. Trustee service may have been performed on the local, state, regional, or national level, or a combination. Equal consideration is given to Trustees of libraries of all sizes. In years when there are no sufficiently outstanding achievements brought to the attention of the United for Libraries Awards & Honors Committee, Citations may not be awarded.
Requirements for nomination include:
Brief statement of the nominee’s achievements.
Nomination(s) by any individual library Trustee, librarian, library board, state library agency, state library association, state Trustee association, or United for Libraries. Include names of nominator(s) and endorsing organizations and individuals. Current United for Libraries board members are not eligible to be nominated. Past recipients of the ALA Trustee Citation are not eligible to be nominated.
Personal membership in ALA and United for Libraries at the time of the award presentation if chosen.
Applications must be received by May 20, 2022.
- 2021 - William A. Shorter, Jr.
- 2020 - No Citation Given
- 2019 - Alfred E. Martin
- 2018 - Penny Weller and Craig Wilson
- 2017 - Mark Miller
- 2016 - Kathy Parker
- 2015 - Roy B. Martin, IV
- 2014 - Argiro Morgan
- 2013 - G. Victor Johnson and Beverly Mull
- 2012 - Richard J. Ryan and Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch
- 2011 - Dave Hargett and Rose Mosley
- 2010 - Robert O. Bonam and Margaret J. "Peggy" Danhof
- 2009 - Shirley Bruursema and David Goldsmith
- 2008 - Dr. Barbara Prentice and Donald W. Green
- 2007 - Jane Rowland and Patricia O'H. Norman
- 2005 - Jim Connor and Robert B. Lyons
- 2004 - Alma Dennis
- 2003 - Charles Rozier and Bill Murphy
- 2002 - Glenna Gillespie Kramer and Mary Lou Dewey
- 2001 - Ruth Newell and Virginia McCurdy
- 2000 - Jean Thibodeaux Kreamer
- 1999 - Rebecca Shroeder and Otissey Denton
- 1998 - Wayne Coco and Jack Cole