Tales from the Crypt: Danville's Living History
School: Danville (Ark.) Public Schools
Applicant: Kelly Klober, Library Media Specialist
- Read Danville Public School's winning Jaffarian Award application.
- Watch a free, pre-recorded webinar with Library Media Specialist Kelly Klober about her award-winning program.
Danville Public Schools in Danville, Arkansas have been recognized by the American Library Association (ALA) for Tales of the Crypt: Danville’s Living History, that used a historic local cemetery as a basis for a multidisciplinary student project about historical persons and the history of the town of Danville.
Thirty students took part in the afterschool library program during the 2017-18 school year. Activities included:
- workshops with local historians and genealogy experts;
- researching historical persons and the town history, along with customs and clothing from the 1840s to 1940s;
- community service at the cemetery, such as cleaning and repairing tombstones; and
- a final performance, held at the cemetery, in which students re-enacted the life of a person or family interred there.