Call for Advisors (closed)
The American Library Association (ALA) is seeking 10 librarian advisors for Libraries Transforming Communities (LTC): Accessible Small and Rural Communities. Application instructions are below.
Submissions are requested by May 2, 2022.
About the Project
Started in 2014, ALA’s Libraries Transforming Communities initiative provides community engagement resources and opportunities specific to the needs of library workers. Building off the work of prior phases of the initiative, LTC: Accessible Small and Rural Communities, will provide resources and grants for small and rural libraries to lead conversations around accessibility and create services or improve facilities to better serve patrons who are disabled and/or neurodivergent.
ALA will select ten project advisors to participate in this project during a two-year term (June 1, 2022 – May 31, 2024).
As a practitioner-focused initiative, participation and feedback from advisors will be crucial to the success of this project. Advisors will be selected for their experience with community engagement, disability services, and developing local programs for public audiences. Work experience in a library is required; an MLIS is preferred but not required.
Project advisors will be responsible for:
- Participating in quarterly virtual meetings, beginning June 2022 and ending May 2024;
- Providing written and verbal input on project deliverables;
- Serving as subject matter experts by suggesting relevant resources;
- Assisting with communication/promotion of project deliverables to their networks by blogging and speaking about the project;
- And serving as presenters and mentors on a national, regional and state level by seeking opportunities to share the work of the project at conferences, meetings and other convenings.
Estimated time commitment: between 20 and 30 hours over the course of the project
Honorarium: $2,000 (To be paid out as follows: $1,000 in June 2022, $1,000 in May 2024)
How to Apply
To apply, please prepare the following materials as a single PDF.
- A brief statement addressing your interest in the position (600 words max) including any demonstrated community engagement and/or disability services work.
- Your resume (2 pages max).
Applications must be submitted electronically as a single PDF through this Google Form. The application is now closed.
LTC: Accessible Small and Rural Communities is administered by ALA’s Public Programs Office in partnership with the Office for Diversity, Literacy, and Outreach Services.
Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants will be notified of their status by May 16, 2022.