Back to RUSA Division Level Awards
Established in 1985, the RUSA Margaret E. Monroe Library Adult Services Award is $1,250* and a citation presented to a librarian who has made significant contributions to library adult services. The individual may be a practicing librarian, a library and information science researcher or educator, or a retired librarian who has brought distinction to the profession's understanding and practice or services for adults. Sponsored by NoveList.
*Monetary award amounts are subject to change without notice and are contingent upon donor funding supplied at the time the award is presented.
- Neither nominators nor nominees need to be members of ALA or RUSA.
- Anyone can be a nominator or a nominee regardless of nationality.
- Self-nominations are permitted.
- The President of RUSA is not eligible for the award during their term in office.
The award jury is composed of members of RUSA’s Achievement Awards and Grants Committee. The criteria for "significant contributions" will be judged by such factors as publications, leadership, measurable effectiveness of programs, influence on others, and creative and innovative concepts.
How to Submit a Nomination
Complete the Margaret E. Monroe Library Adult Services Award nomination form by February 17, 2023. The form asks for the following information:
- Nominator’s email address
- Nominator’s first and last name
- Nominee’s first and last name
- Nominee’s mailing address
- Nominee’s phone number
- Nominee’s email address
- Nominee’s current position
- Nominee’s memberships (ALA, RUSA, BRASS, CODES, ETS, HS, RSS, STARS, non-member)
- File upload of a nomination letter, describing the ways in which the nominee has made a significant contribution to library adult services. The letter should address some or all of the following: publications, leadership, measurable effectiveness of programs, influence on others, and creative and innovative concepts.
- File upload of the resume of the nominee and/or summary of the nominee’s activities and contributions.
- File uploads of a minimum of two letters of endorsement containing specific reasons for supporting the nomination.
- File uploads of any other supporting materials that illustrate the nominee’s significant contribution.
Questions should be directed to the committee chair, Jason Coleman, email@example.com
2023: No award presented
2022: Timothy J. Dickey, Adult Services Librarian, Columbus Metropolitan Library (Interview)
2021: Kelvin Watson, Executive Director Las Vegas-Clark County Library District
2020: Lucy M. Lockley, Lead Collection Development Librarian for St. Charles City-County Library
2019: Nicolette Warisse Sosulski, Business Librarian at Portage District Library
2018: Kaite Stover, Director of Readers’ Services, Kansas City Public Library
2017: David Wright, Readers’ Services Librarian, Seattle Public Library
2016: Dr. Mary K. Chelton, retired professor, Graduate School of Library and Information Studies, Queen’s College, CUNY
2015: Neil Hollands, adult services librarian, Williamsburg Regional Library
2014: Diana Tixier Herald, Delta County Libraries (Colo.)
2013: Dr. Catherine Sheldrick Ross, University of Western Ontario
2012: Neal Wyatt
2011: Joyce Saricks, Dominican University
2010: Nancy Pearl
2009: No award given
2007: Barry Trott
2006: Allan Kleiman
2005: Gary Warren Niebuhr
2004: Cynthia Orr
2003: Miriam Pollack
2002: Marsha Spyros
2001: No award given
2000: Lizbeth A. Wilson
1999: Ann Bradshaw
1998: Jane P. Kleiner
1997: Duncan Smith
1996: Connie VanFleet
1995: Valerie J. Wilford
1994: Elizabeth Ann Funk
1993: Kathleen Weibel
1992: Rhea Joyce Rubin
1991: Kathleen M. McCook (Heim)
1990: Martin J. Gomez
1989: Bernice Mac Donald
1988: Jane K. Hirsch
1987: Lora Landers
1986: Helen Huguenor Lyman