A citation and a medal presented to a person or institution that has made an outstanding contribution to the advancement of library service for people with physical disabilities and/or physical impairments. This contribution may take the form of an imaginative and constructive program in a particular library; a recognized contribution to the national library program for blind persons; creative participation in library associations or organizations that advance reading for the blind; a significant publication or writing in the field; imaginative contribution to library administration, reference, circulation, selection, acquisitions, or technical services; or any activity of recognized importance. Visit the website for the Royal National College for the Blind to read more about Francis Joseph Campbell, for whom this award is named.
To nominate a person or institution, complete the nomination form.
Questions should be directed to the committee chair.
- 2021 David J. Kelsey
- 2020 No award presented
- 2019 Kim Charlson, Executive Director, Perkins Braille & Talking Book Library
- 2018 Patricia Herndon, Director of Georgia Libraries for Accessible Statewide Services (GLASS), Georgia Public Library Service (GPLS)
- 2017 No award presented
- 2016 Stephan Prine, Assistant Chief, Network Division, Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress
- 2015 Adam Stephen Szczepaniak, Jr., director and associate state librarian, New Jersey State Library Talking Book and Braille Center.
- 2014 Chris Mundy, Quality Assurance Specialist, Multistate Center East, National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS), Library of Congress.
- 2013 Jill Lewis, former director, Maryland State Library for the Blind and People with Physical Disabilities
- 2012 Carole Rose, Indiana Talking Book and Braille Library (retired)
- 2011 Jamal Mazrui, deputy director, Accessibility and Innovation Initiative, Federal Communications Commission ( view video)
- 2010 Daniel W. Boyd, former director of the South Dakota Braille and Talking Book Library
- 2009 Department of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood
- 2007 Sue O. Murdock, former manager of the Library for the Blind and People with Physical Disabilities, Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, Penn.
- 2006 Axel Schmetzke, Ph.D., professor, reference librarian, coordinator of instruction, and head of the Instructional Materials Center, University Library, University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point
- 2005 Judith M. Dixon, consumer relations officer, and Wells B. Kormann, chief, Materials Development Division, of the National Library Service for the Blind and People with Physical Disabilities (NLS), Library of Congress
- 2004 The Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB) Library, Toronto
- 2003 James R. Fruchterman, president, The Benetech Initiative, Palo Alto, CA
- 2002 Julie Klauber, librarian, Talking Books Plus, Outreach Services, Suffolk Cooperative Library System, Bellport, NY
- 2001 Barbara Mates, head of the Library for the Blind and People with Physical Disabilities at the Cleveland Public Library
- 2000 Dr. Norman R. Coombs, adjunct professor, St. John Fisher College (Rochester)
- 1999 Donald John Weber, chief of the Florida Bureau of Braille and Talking Book Library Services, Division of Blind Services