Reference Interview is a comprehensive six-week course focusing on the methods of evaluating reference service, behavioral aspects of reference service, and the different types of questions that can be used to help patrons identify what they need. Using images and text, this in-depth educational approach covers everything from the approachability of the librarian to how to follow up with a patron. Scheduled chat sessions will model interviewing techniques using sample dialogues.
Reference Interview is tailored for support staff, library technicians, newly hired reference librarians, and those librarians who want to brush up on their interview skills. The topics covered are introductory in nature.Class segments are geared to cover issues of interest to staff in all types of libraries.
- Module 1: Introduction
- Module 2: Reference Evaluation
- Module 3: Behavioral Guidelines
- Module 4: Approachability
- Module 5: The Reference Interview Environment
- Module 6: Questioning and Listening Techniques
- Module 7: The Reference Interview: Dialogues
- Module 8: The Reference Interview: Follow-up
Who Should Attend
- Support Staff
- Library techniques
- Newly hired reference librarians
- Librarians who want to brush up on their interview skills
- $129.58 for RUSA members
- $188.10 for ALA members
- $209.00 for non-ALA members
- $141.08 for student members and retired members
How to Register
- By Email: download, complete and email form (PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- By Mail: Download, complete and mail form (PDF) to American Library Association, ATTN: MACS/Online CE Registration, 225 N. Michigan Ave. Suite 1300, Chicago, IL 60601
ALA courses are hosted eLearning.org. All content for this course will be provided y the instructor. No textbook required. If you have question, please visit FAQs.
The course site will remain open one week after the end date for students to complete any assignments and submit the course evaluation survey, at www.moodle.org
Questions about your registration should be directed to email@example.com. Technical questions about the course should be directed to Ninah Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you and we look forward to your participation!