Foster discussion, programming, and the development of tools and resources related to the management of emerging technology projects in libraries.
Displaying active committee roster as of 07/01/2021. Last retrieved on 05/28/2023. Members can log in and refresh the page to view full contact information for committee members.
As a committee of the Emerging Technologies Section (ETS), within Reference & User Services Association (RUSA), the committee’s purpose is to create a community of practice and shared expertise around emerging technologies in all libraries, within the context of reference, information, and consultation services delivery.
Past projects hosted by ETS Management of Electronic Reference Services include:
- Discussion Forum at 2016 annual called "Promoting Subject Specialists & Enhancing Visibility of Library Reference"
- Discussion at 2016 Midwinter called "Optimizing the web for reference: Best practices for usability, accessibility, and responsiveness"
- Discussion at 2015 Annual called: "Lessons Learned: Libraries, Course Management Systems, and Future Directions"
- Discussion at 2015 Midwinter on assessment of library resources embedded in course management systems.
- MERS co-hosted a discussion forum with the Public Libraries Committee (PL) at ALA Midwinter 2011 titled "Assessment and Evaluation of Virtual Reference"
Our current and future projects include:
- Creation of a “tool kit” that could help members manage emerging technologies in their libraries
- Collaboration with the RSS Virtual Reference Services committee to develop membership surveys and e-forums.
The committee uses the RUSA Bylaws and RUSA Handbook to structure their work. While ETS Executive Committee members provide input as to the work of this committee, projects and activities are determined by committee members. Depending upon the yearly goals developed by these members, the committee may meet monthly (online). While there is no maximum number of members on this committee, there shall be at least five (5) RUSA members appointed by the Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect of ETS. Members of this committee serve for two (2) years and are eligible for reappointment for a consecutive two-year term. Terms are staggered.
View our group’s meeting minutes, project documents, e-forum summaries, etc. on ALA Connect . (Login required.)
Call for Volunteers
Members of RUSA are welcome to volunteer to serve on this committee. Committee members should have an interest in the work of the committee, participate in the meetings and activities, and be able to work between ALA conferences via email, web conferencing, and ALA Connect. Appointments take place once a year, during the spring. Committee service usually begins following Annual Conference, about July 1. Complete the RUSA volunteer form to express your willingness to serve.
Training and Events Coordinator