Established in 1992, the HS Genealogy / History Achievement Award, sponsored by FamilySearch, presents a citation and $1,500* to an individual, group, publisher or institution, in recognition of professional achievement in historical or genealogical reference, service, or research librarianship. The recipient shall be selected for exceptional accomplishment in one or more of the following areas: leadership; service; training; reference; or publication of recent, significant print or digital reference works/projects that offer access to genealogical or historical sources. Preference shall be given to members of RUSA.
*Monetary award amounts are subject to change without notice and are contingent upon donor funding supplied at the time the award is presented.
To nominate a deserving member, complete the HS Genealogy / History Achievement Award nomination form.
Questions should be directed to the committee chair.
Nomination materials should include the following:
- A completed copy of the nomination form
- Complete contact information for both the nominee and the nominator
- Previous work experience (titles and employers)
- An outline of service to ALA, RUSA and the History Section
- Service to allied organizations
- Awards received (if any)
- Publication credits
- A narrative outlining why the nominee deserves the award; must go beyond a listing of the nominee’s credentials
- Any other information relevant to the nominee’s qualifications for this award
Questions may be directed to the committee chair.
2018: Dr. Plummer Alston Jones, Jr., Professor of Library Science, East Carolina University in Greenville, NC
2017: Richard E. Turley Jr., former Assistant Church Historian and Recorder of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
2016: Michele C. McNabb, Genealogy Center, Museum of Danish America
2015: Michael D. Kirley, Los Angeles Public Library
2014: William “Bill” Forsyth, Proquest
2013: Janice Schultz, Midwest Genealogy Center, Mid-Continent Public Library (Mo.)
2012: Jay L. Verkler
2011: Mary K. Mannix, Frederick County Public Libraries, Frederick Maryland