Resources listed on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of IRTF, SRRT, or ALA.
Alternative News, Analysis, and Commentary
- Amnesty International: Crisis in Haiti "Amnesty International is extremely concerned by the ongoing human rights abuses between rebel forces, armed pro-Aristide militias and Haitian National Police since the beginning of the armed insurrection on 5 February."
- The Black Commentator "Commentary, analysis and investigations on issues affecting African Americans."
- Council on Hemispheric Relations "Monitoring Political, Economic, and Diplomatic Issues Facing the Western Hemisphere."
- Counterpunch "CounterPunch is the bi-weekly muckraking newsletter edited by Alexander Cockburn and Jeffrey St. Clair."
- Democracy Now!: Haiti Under Seige "Democracy Now! is a national, daily, independent, award-winning news program airing on over 140 stations in North America" Website includes transcripts as well as audio recordings.
- Haitian Times "The Haitian Times aims to provide its readers with the best coverage of Haiti and Haitian-American communities through the highest standards."
- Haiti Star "Latest news from WN Network"
- Haiti Progres "The journal which offers an alternative." In Creole, French, and English.
- Human Rights Watch: Americas: Haiti "Human Rights Watch is dedicated to protecting the human rights of people around the world."
- Independent Media Center "Indymedia is a collective of independent and alternative media activists and organizations offering grassroots, non-corporate coverage of important social and political issues."
- NACLA (North American Congress on Latin America): In the News: Haiti"NACLA provides policy makers, analysts, academics, organizers, journalists and religious and community groups with information on major trends in Latin America and its relations with the United States."
- The Nation The Nation "will. . . , make an earnest effort to bring to the discussion of political and social questions a really critical spirit, and to wage war upon the vices of violence, exaggeration, and misrepresentation by which so much of the political writing of the day is marred." (On Haiti, see especially articles by Amy Wilentz.)
- Pacifica Radio ". . . the only radio network in the United States to function unconstrained by corporate underwriting and policy decisions."
- Resource Center of the Americas.org: News and Commentary: Haiti "The Resource Center of the Americas informs, educates and organizes to promote human rights, democratic participation, economic justice and cross-cultural understanding in the context of globalization in the Americas." See also Spotlight on Haiti for "a selection of background and analysis articles on the current situation in Haiti:"
- United Haitians Home Page Includes links to news articles, Haitian government websites, and other "Haiti-oriented" websites.
- World Press Review Online: The Americas " World Press Review is the journal of record for an influential global audience, providing an unprecedented platform for ideas and opinions on topics of significant international concern."
- Z Magazine/Z Net, Haiti Watch "The US has done it again in Haiti, with another violent regime change against a popularly elected leader, this time with plenty of help from France and Canada. ZNet has tried to collect some materials on it here."
Special Reports and Publications
- Haiti: A Slave Revolution: 200 Years After 1804, edited by Pat Chin, Greg Dunkel, Sara Flounders, Kim Ives. "The Haitian Revolution is a singular event in history. Never before or since has an enslaved people risen up, broken their chains, and established a new state." Read chapters online, or order copies of this book.
- Hidden from the Headlines: The U.S. War Against Haiti "New Pamphlet Explodes Haiti Myths" Read pamphlet online or order copies of pamplet from the Haiti Action Committee.
- Investigating the Human Effects of Withheld Humanitarian Aid, Report of the Haiti Reborn/Quixote Center Delegation, January 11-19, 2003 "This report details the observations and findings of a twenty-one member delegation that visited Haiti in January ."
- "Option Zero in Haiti," Peter Hallward, New Left Review 27, May-June 2004"A very multilateral coup. Franco-American harmony and unanimous blessings from the Security Council for the overthrow of a constitutional government and crushing of popular hope, in the Western hemisphere’s poorest nation-state."
- A Directory of Organizations Working In and For Haiti Prepared by the staff of Haiti Reborn, a program of the Quixote Center.
- Dwa Fanm "Committed to the Rights of Haitian Women and Girls"
- Haiti Action "The Haiti Action Committee is a Bay Area-based network of activists who have supported the Haitian struggle for democracy since 1991. Members foster extensive contacts with the grassroots movements in Haiti. We also wish to link journalists who want to hear an alternative viewpoint with sources both in Haiti and in the United States."
- Haiti Reborn "Haiti Reborn a project of the Quixote Center, works in the United States on behalf of the Haitian people to build an active grassroots solidarity movement and to advocate for a more just U.S. foreign policy." Site includes news, anlalysis, and what you can do to help.
- Haiti Support Network "The Haiti Support Network is a coalition of Haitian and North American groups and individuals in the New York City area which raises political and material support for democratic and popular forces in Haiti. . . . We oppose any form of collaboration with the US/UN military occupation of Haiti, including participation in the Haitian government or any elections while Haiti is militarily occupied."
- International A.N.S.W.E.R. (Act Now to Stop War & End Racism) Site includes news coverage of events in Haiti, press statements, and plans for upcoming demonstrations.
- PeaceWomen: Women, Peace andSecurity Initiatives: Haiti"PeaceWomen.org is a project of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF) United Nations Office, in New York City. The PeaceWomen Project monitors and works toward rapid and full implementation of United Nations Security Council Resolution 1325 on women, peace and security."
Reference and Background
- Haiti: World Press Review Online Reference Document
- Haiti Support Network: Haiti Resources Videos, Reports, and News Sources
- The Republic of Haiti Key facts on history, government, economics, geography, people, etc. from Uhhp.com
Resolutions, Petitions, and Other Activities
- Haiti Emergency Relief Fund ". . . which supports organizations giving humanitarian aid to the people of Haiti"
- Organizational Petition on Haiti "As organizations and institutions working for global justice . . . . [w]e ask you to sign the petition asking for immediate and unconditional re-instatement of President Aristide of Haiti. We are also demanding an investigation into the role of the Bush Administration in its violation of international laws."
- SRRT Resolution on Haiti (1993)