Natalie DeJonghe, Chair
The Convention Planning Committee is a standing committee dedicated to organizing, supporting, and developing library and education related content at comic conventions throughout North America. Specific focus is on promoting library services and the work of the RT in larger public forums, amongst against non-library users, and/or the general public. Significant convention committee presence currently includes the ‘Big 4’: i.e. Cons with more than 100,000 attendees: New York Comic Con, San Diego Comic Con, Emerald City Comic Con, and C2E2, as well support and coverage at local Library Cons and indie shows like the Toronto Comics Arts Festival (TCAF) and Small Press Expo (SPX).
- Create and implement professional programming, including sessions focused on the use of graphic novels in libraries, programming, readers advisory, etc. as well as networking sessions and events to help bring library staff and publishers together.
- Develop and implement a library presence at comic conventions, including ALA related booths, pop-up libraries, etc.
- Signal boost and support local libraries and library workers as well as working to signal boost and support networks and events throughout North America.
- Aggregate Convention information for North America - capturing date of major and local Cons and key library and educator organizers in each geographic local area.
- Develop best practices resources re: Con programming and Pop-Up Library.
- Develop and mentor new professionals for panelist, moderating, and organizing duties.
- Develop and disseminate resources re: language and branding for Con newsletters, promotion, and email to publishers re: giveaways.
- Along with Conference Committee develop and maintain publisher database with information on Library Marketing / Creator contacts at major and local comics publishers.
- 10-15 virtual members
- ALA Staff Liaison
- 2 years