Applications for the 2024 GNCRT Comics Librarian Travel Grant are now open.
Deadline for applications is April 1, 2024
About the GNCRT Comics Librarian Conference Travel Grant
Through the Comics Librarian Conference Travel Grant, the GNCRT will support two travel grants for GNCRT members to attend the 2024 ALA Annual Conference in San Diego, CA this June. These grants are intended to support the professional development of library workers interested in expanding their knowledge and experience with comics in libraries. Through these grants, GNCRT seeks to highlight the value “comics librarianship” brings to the field.
Each grant winner will receive reimbursement* of up to $3,000 toward their attendance at the upcoming 2023 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago, IL. The funds may be used to reimburse for:
- Travel and hotel
Additionally, recipients will also be asked to commit to at least one of the following opportunities at the conference:
- Participating in a GNCRT conference session/panel
- Attending GNCRT conference sessions/panels
- Comics Publisher Meet-ups
- GNCRT Meet-up
- GNCRT Social Media Content creation
- Post-conference blog or article
- Volunteering at the GNCRT Comics Lounge at ALA Annual
*Recipients must submit receipts and an expense report after the conference for reimbursement.
You must be a member of both the American Library Association and the Graphic Novels & Comics Round Table to be eligible to receive this grant. Not a member yet? Join ALA and GNCRT now or add GNCRT to your existing ALA membership today.
- Applicants must be an ALA and GNCRT member in good standing
- Applicants must currently be employed in any type of library at any level or be a current library school student.
- Applicants must be available to attend the 2024 ALA Annual Conference in San Diego, CA
- Applicants must provide a statement of interest regarding comics and the specialty of comics work in libraries, including how this grant will help deepen their interests and specialty.
- While not required, applicants who have not previously attended professional conferences will receive additional consideration
Application & Instructions
- Applicants must submit one complete application using the online form and must include a current resume or CV and one essay of 1,000 words or less addressing BOTH of the following questions:
- What are your specific area(s) of interest and/or expertise as they relate to comics in libraries?
- How will attending ALA Annual Conference contribute to your professional development as a comics librarian?
The grant committee will evaluate applications based on the following criteria:
- Applicant’s financial need of grant funding to attend the 2024 ALA Annual Conference
- Applicant’s enthusiasm for comics librarianship and pursuit of professional growth around topics of comics in libraries
ALA Graphic Novels & Comics Round Table Staff Liaison: Tina Coleman email@example.com
Support the GNCRT Comics Librarian Conference Travel Grant
Thanks to funds generously donated by comics publishers,Skybound Entertainment and Oni Press. Intrested in contribruting to the GNCRT Comics Librarian Confeerence Travel Grant? You can now donate directly to support this grant at ALA's Donation Portal (click on ROUND TABLES at the top and then on GNCRT on the left side)