The Best Graphic Novels for Children Reading List seeks to highlight the best graphic novels for children ages 5-12 published in late 2021 and throughout 2022, increase awareness of the graphic novel medium, raise voices of diverse comics creators, and aid library staff in the development of graphic novel collections. List selection will be determined by a committee of GNCRT members with a background in selection or use of graphic novels for children. and children’s services.
Check out the 2022 Best Graphic Novels for Children Reading List
Eligible graphic novels for the 2023 Best Graphic Novels for Children will include all fiction and non-fiction titles published between September 1, 2022 - December 31, 2023 that would appeal to children ages 5-12. Nominations can be made by committee members, members of the wider library and education community and members of the public through the online form.
Publishers are welcome to submit copies of titles to the GNCRT Best Graphic Novels for Children Selection Committee for review. To do so, please contact GNCRT staff liaison Tina Coleman. While publishers may submit review copies to the committee, publishers and creators may not nominate their own titles for consideration to the final list. By submitting review copies, publishers are assisting the committee with identifying potential eligible titles that may or may not be nominated for the list by committee members.
Click here to see titles that have already been nominated in 2023.
Best Graphic Novels for Children 2023 Selection Committee
- Kerrie Mierop, Committee Chair - Youth Services Librarian, Calabasas Library
- Heather Rowan, Committee Assistant - Librarian 1, Austin (TX) Public Library
- Tessa Gunnell - Frederick County Public Libraries (MD)
- Anna Chou - Elementary School Librarian, Papillion La Vista Community Schools
- Sarah Okner - Vernon Area Public Library
- Eric Carpenter - Atlanta Public Schools
- Natasha Carty - Atlanta Public Schools
- Megan Rasmussen - District Librarian, Round Lake Area CUSD #116
- Janet Mumford - Library, Literature and Literacy Consultant
- Julie Novak - New Trier H.S.
- Karlie Erin Herndon - The University of Mississippi
- Mariizhe Bonier - Austin (TX) Public Library