The Best Graphic Novels for Children Reading List seeks to highlight the best graphic novels for children ages 5-12 published in late 2021 and throughout 2022, increase awareness of the graphic novel medium, raise voices of diverse comics creators, and aid library staff in the development of graphic novel collections. List selection will be determined by a committee of GNCRT members with a background in selection or use of graphic novels for children. and children’s services.
Nominations for the 2022 Best Graphic Novels for Children Reading List are now closed.
Check out the list of 2022 nominated titles. The final 2022 Best Graphic Novels for Children list will be announced in January 2023.
Nominations for the 2023 Best Graphic Novels for Children list will open in January 2023. Eligible graphic novels for the 2023 Best Graphic Novels for Children will include all fiction and non-fiction titles published between September 1, 2022 - December 31, 2023 that would appeal to children ages 5-12. Nominations can be made by committee members, members of the wider library and education community and members of the public through the online form.
Publishers are welcome to submit copies of titles to the GNCRT Best Graphic Novels for Children Selection Committee for review. To do so, please contact GNCRT staff liaison Tina Coleman. While publishers may submit review copies to the committee, publishers and creators may not nominate their own titles for consideration to the final list. By submitting review copies, publishers are assisting the committee with identifying potential eligible titles that may or may not be nominated for the list by committee members.
Best Graphic Novels for Children 2022 Selection Committee
- Angela Frederick, Chair - High School Librarian, Williamson County Schools
- Mariizhe Bonier - Syracuse University SLIS
- Eric Carpenter - Toomer Elementaty School
- Natasha Carty - Tres Volcanes Community Collaborative School
- Anna Chou - Elementary Teacher Librarian, Papillion La Vista Community Schools
- Andrea Erickson - Montgomery County Public Library
- Karlie Herndon - University of Southern Mississippi SLIS
- Kerrie Mierop - Calabasas Library
- Angela Ocana - Youth Services Supervisor, Eugene Public Library
- Sarah Okner - Vernon Area Public Library
- Megan Rasumussen - District Librarian, Round Lake Area Schools CUSD #116
- Heather Rowan, Committee Assistant - Librarian I, Austin Public Library