The Public Library Association (PLA) and Microsoft Corp. are working together to provide dozens of public libraries in rural and underserved communities with hardware and support to install public WiFi access points on or near library grounds. To apply, please first check that your library is in an eligible state and county. Then complete the application below.
Awards will be made to successful applicants weekly until the commitment is fulfilled. Applications received by Monday at 11:59 PM Eastern will be reviewed that week and recipients will be notified on Friday.
Please apply for one access point to serve one specific location. If your system has multiple locations where you could install access points, please indicate that in questions 16 and 17.
- Contact Information
- First Name, Last Name of staff person responsible for grant application
- Library Outlet Name (where access point will be placed)
- Address 2
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Library Website (URL)
- Library Service Population
- IMLS Locale Code (must be 41, 42, 43)
- Describe the location for the requested WiFi access point (foyer, external wall, parking lot, park, etc.). Please confirm that the location is served by electricity and is secure.
- Do you have other branches or locations where you could benefit from public access points? Y/N
- If Yes, please describe below the other locations and provide their addresses.
- Do you have staff or an ISP or other partner to install the access point? Y/N
- (Optional) If you do not have capability to install the access point, PLA and Microsoft may identify a partner serving your community to arrange the installation. Please provide the library contact who will coordinate with the ISP to install the access point.
- Phone number:
- Do you expect to need reimbursement (up to $500) for any of the following? (check all that apply)
- Housing, security, or other physical materials for installation of the access point
- Promotional expenses (for instance, social media ads)
- Other (please describe):
- Please briefly describe how you will allow access by community members (via a guest network or portal page) and also how you will promote availability to your community.
- Please provide an estimate below of the number of community members who might benefit from the WiFi access point each week.
- Is your library located in the United States (50 states or the District of Columbia)? Y/N
- Is your proposed program or service free of cost (including deposits) for attendees to participate? Y/N
- If selected, will you be able to activate the new hardware in your library within 15 business days upon receipt of acceptance? Y/N
- If selected, will you be able to share photos, video, or other relevant media of your funded program in local and social media, as well as with PLA? Y/N
- Do you have prior approval from your library's administrative unit to implement this program? Y/N
- I affirm that all of the information provided in this application is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge. Y/N
PERSONAL DATA NOTIFICATION POLICY: The ALA (American Library Association, its units and divisions) (collectively “ALA”) use the personal data you provide to the ALA to process membership, inform you of products, services, conferences, education opportunities, events and for other purposes which are within the Association’s mission. To accomplish these actions, ALA contracts with third-parties who gather and process personal data to complete interactions such as online purchases, conference registration, and fulfillment. The personal data as provided is processed and stored as a legitimate Interest to the ALA in order to fulfill your requests for information and services from ALA. Additional information can be found at http://www.ala.org/personal-data-notification.