Charge and Work
To work with PLA staff to develop PLA programming for the ALA Annual Conference; to identify and develop program topics; to stimulate program development and implementation among members and membership units; to review and approve individual programs; to approve presenters and coordinators of individual programs; to act as liaisons to program organizers if necessary; to facilitate high quality presentations.
Deliverables and outcomes:
- Review all proposals for PLA educational programming at ALA Annual Conference (each reviewer will typically be assigned roughly 50 proposals to review)
- Identify key trends, issues, and challenges currently facing public libraries and ensure they are represented in PLA educational programming at ALA Annual Conference
- Increase equity, diversity, inclusion, and social justice at ALA Annual Conference by selecting educational programming that represents diverse groups and points of view
Expected time commitment:
- Attend ALA Midwinter Meeting and ALA Annual Conference (8 hours/year plus travel time)
- Review PLA Conference proposals (5–10 hours, typically from September to October)
- Attend virtual meetings (2–3 hours/year)
- Review and respond to emails and ALA Connect messages (2–3 hours/year)
Desired skills, knowledge, or experience:
- Familiarity with current issues and challenges facing public libraries
- Expertise in one or more core areas of library services (e.g. Serving Adults, Serving Youth, Tech Services, Leadership, Technology, etc.)
- Ability to represent and advocate for current professional development needs in the public library field
All PLA Committees are formed by action of the PLA Board of Directors, which is elected by PLA Members. In 2008, PLA's committees were restructured by a vote of the membership.
The Annual Conference Program Subcommittee consists of members appointed from the membership at large serving 2 year terms and led by a chair.
Established at the request of the PLA Board.
To be a thriving, vibrant organization, PLA must have committed and active committee members. If you are interested in serving on a committee, please read and fill out the online volunteer form.
- Volunteers are accepted on an ongoing basis.
- Appointments are made by the PLA President and President-Elect, primarily in the spring.
- Volunteers must be members of ALA and PLA.
Stay connected with fellow PLA members in the PLA Member Community on ALA Connect. PLA personal membership is required to participate.