A holistic collections assessment framework
For Immediate Release
American Library Association
CHICAGO — Bridging the divide between the big picture and the nitty gritty, Madeline M. Kelly‘s “The Complete Collections Assessment Manual: A Holistic Approach,” published by ALA Neal-Schuman, offers a comprehensive framework suitable for a variety of collections and contexts. With a structure that makes it applicable as both a training tool for practicing librarians and a useful course text for library students, this manual:
- introduces foundational assessment methodologies then provides concrete guidance on how to contextualize those methodologies within a holistic collections assessment program;
- covers topics such as assessment goals, assessment stakeholders, selecting data and methodologies, working through project constraints, and project planning;
- includes sample assessment program structures and other useful templates;
- provides step-by-step instructions for more than a dozen specific methodologies, describing which aspect of the collection is being measured, what goals the methodology can address, technological requirements, recommended visualizations, and other helpful pointers; and
- shares best practices for communicating effectively with internal and external stakeholders about assessment projects, with sample communication plans that can be easily adapted.
Examination copies are available for instructors who are interested in adopting this title for course use.
Kelly is the Director of Collections at Western Washington University in Bellingham, WA, where she oversees Acquisitions/Serials/ILL/Course Reserves, Collections Assessment, Cataloging and Metadata Services, Circulation, and Maps within the Western Libraries. She has authored articles, book chapters, and conference proceedings on collections assessment, and has presented and delivered workshops on the topic regionally and nationally. At the consortial level, Kelly has served on numerous committees, including a statewide e-resource assessment task force that culminated in the implementation of new holistic evaluation metrics.
Many book retailers and distributors are experiencing service disruptions or delays, including Amazon. For speediest service, order direct from the ALA Store. ALA Store purchases fund advocacy, awareness and accreditation programs for library and information professionals worldwide. ALA Editions | ALA Neal-Schuman publishes resources used by library and information professionals, scholars, students, and educators to improve programs and services, build on best practices, enhance pedagogy, share research, develop leadership, and promote advocacy. ALA authors and developers are leaders in their fields, and their content is published in a variety of print and electronic formats. Contact ALA Editions | ALA Neal-Schuman at firstname.lastname@example.org.