Delivering impact with digital resources
For Immediate Release
American Library Association
CHICAGO — Our digital presence has the power to change lives and life opportunities. We must understand digital values to consider how organizational presence within digital cultures can create change. “Delivering Impact with Digital Resources: Planning Strategy in the Attention Economy,” published by Facet Publishing and available through the ALA Store, focuses on introducing both a mechanism and a way to thinking about strategies and evidence of benefits that extend to impact. Such that, the existence of a digital resource shows measurable outcomes that demonstrate a change in the life or life opportunities of the community. The book proposes an updated Balanced Value Impact Model (BVIM) to enable each memory organization to convincingly argue they are an efficient and effective operation, working in innovative modes with digital resources for the positive social and economic benefit of their communities. Coverage includes:
- a guide to using BVIM and a wide range of data gathering and evidence based methods;
- exploration of strategy in the context of digital ecosystems, an attention economy, and cultural economics;
- working with communities and stakeholders to deliver on promises implicit in digital resources/activities;
- major case studies about Europeana, the Wellcome Trust, and the National Gallery of Denmark, among others; and
- an exploration of the difference between the attitudes expressed by groups within digital cultures versus the actual behaviors they exhibit using impact exemplars from many sectors and geographies to show how they are explored and applied.
Tanner is Professor of Digital Cultural Heritage in the Department of Digital Humanities at King’s College London. He is a digital humanities scholar with a wide-ranging interest in cross-disciplinary thinking and collaborative approaches that reflect a fascination with interactions between memory institution collections (libraries, museum, archives, media and publishing) and the digital domain. A member of the Europeana Impact Taskforce that developed the Impact Playbook, he teaches on the Masters in Digital Asset and Media Management and the BA in Digital Culture.
Facet Publishing, the commercial publishing and bookselling arm of CILIP: the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals, is the leading publisher of books for library and information professionals worldwide. ALA Store purchases fund advocacy, awareness and accreditation programs for library professionals worldwide. Contact us at (800) 545-2433 ext. 5052 or firstname.lastname@example.org.