YALSA names 2020 Great Graphic Novels for Teens
For Immediate Release
Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA)
CHICAGO – The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA), has announced its 2020 Great Graphic Novels for Teens list.
The list consists of 103 titles selected from 178 official nominations, which were posted and discussed in blogposts on The Hub. The books, recommended for those ages 12-18, meet the criteria of both good quality literature and appealing reading for teens. View the full list.
- Bloom. By Kevin Panetta. Art by Savanna Ganucheau. First Second. 2019. $17.99. ISBN: 978-1626726413.
- Cosmoknights: Book One. By Hannah Templer. Art by the author. Top Shelf Productions, an imprint of IDW Publishing. 2019. $19.99. ISBN: 978-1603094542.
- I Was Their American Dream: a Graphic Memoir. By Malaka Gharib. Art by the author. Clarkson Potter. 2019. $16.99. ISBN: 978-0525575115.
- Kiss Number 8. By Colleen AF Venable. Art by Ellen T. Crenshaw. First Second. 2019. $17.99. ISBN: 978-1596437098.
- Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me. By Mariko Tamaki. Art by Rosemary Valero-O'Connell. First Second. 2019. $17.99. ISBN: 978-1626722590.
- The Life of Frederick Douglass: A Graphic Narrative of a Slave's Journey from Bondage to Freedom. By David F. Walker. Art by Damon Smyth, Marissa Louise. Ten Speed Press. 2019. $17.99. ISBN: 978-0399581441.
- Pumpkinheads. By Rainbow Rowell. Art by Faith Erin Hicks. First Second. 2019. $17.99. ISBN: 978-1626721623.
- Simon & Louise. By Max de Radigues. Art by the author. Conundrum International. 2019. $18.00. ISBN: 978-1772620351.
- They Called Us Enemy. By George Takei and Justin Eisinger. Art by Harmony Becker. Top Shelf Productions, an imprint of IDW Publishing. 2019. $19.99. ISBN: 978-1603094504.
- Witch Hat Atelier. By Kamome Shirahama. Art by the author. 2019.
- Vol. 1. Kodansha Comics. $12.99. ISBN: 978-1632367709.
- Vol. 2. Kodansha Comics. $12.99. ISBN: 978-1632368041.
- Vol. 3. Kodansha Comics. $12.99. ISBN: 978-1632368058.
"This year’s list is so great y’all!” said Chair Tina Lerno. "We hope it proves invaluable as a selection tool for librarians and educators looking to grow their graphic novel collections. We’ve chosen titles that reflect the diverse populations we serve, as well as showcasing the ever-growing number of inclusive, educational and drop-dead gorgeous books. We’re certain this list of titles will spark the interest of teens everywhere!”
YALSA’s portfolio of book and media awards helps strengthen library services for and with teens by identifying quality, age appropriate resources for librarians and library workers to share with the teens in their communities. Learn more about YALSA’s other book and media lists here.
Members of the 2020 Great Graphic Novels for Teens Blogging Team are: Tina H. Lerno, chair, Los Angeles Public Library, Los Angeles, CA; Megan Baird, Yuma County Library District, Yuma AZ; Crystal Chen, The New York Public Library, Bronx, NY; Erin Durrett, Clinton-Macomb Public Library, Clinton Township, MI; Traci Glass, Nashville Public Library, Nashville TN; Thea Hashagen, Mill Valley Public Library, Mill Valley, CA; Lindsey Helfrich, Sacramento Public Library, Sacramento, CA; Kali Olson, The Blake School, Minneapolis, MN; Christine Pyles, Euclid Public Library, Euclid, OH; Celeste Rhoads, The American Library in Paris, Paris France; Loren Spector, Los Angeles Public Library, Los Angeles, CA; Becky Standal, Longview Public Library, Longview, WA; Allie Stevens, Calhoun County Library, Hampton, AR; Audrey Sumser, Stark Library, Canton, OH.
The mission of the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) is to support library staff in alleviating the challenges teens face, and in putting all teens—especially those with the greatest needs— on the path to successful and fulfilling lives. For more information about YALSA or to access national guidelines and other resources go to www.ala.org/yalsa, or contact the YALSA office by phone, 800-545-2433, ext. 4390; or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.