Forty student members of the American Library Association (ALA) will participate in the ALA Student-to-Staff program at the 2018 ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans, La., June 21-26.
Established in 1973, the program allows 40 students, both ALA members and members of their school's ALA student chapter, to attend and participate in an annual conference in exchange for working 16 hours for ALA staff during the conference. These students also receive free conference registration, housing, and a per diem for meals.
Students are selected and nominated by their faculty advisors. Criteria include that each student must be a current ALA member and remain so through the ALA Annual Conference, and cannot have previously participated in the program.
The students participating in the 2018 program are (in alphabetical order by last name of student):
- Jaimie A. Albanese; St. John's University (N.Y.)
- Shatha Baydoun; Wayne State University (Mich.)
- Gienah Beaty; Texas Woman's University (TX)
- Amy Boglarski; Simmons College (Mass.)
- Stacy Brody; Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey (N.J.)
- Brittany Broz; Louisiana State University (La.)
- Wendy Bundy; Clarion University (Pa.)
- Hannah Craven; University of Denver (Colo.)
- Paige Dhyne; University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Ill.)
- Stephanie Duchin; University of Southern California (Calif.)
- Patricia Dudley; University of North Texas (TX)
- John Dunning; East Carolina University (N.C.)
- Korey Erickson; Emporia State University (Kan.)
- Sarah Gardner; University of Texas, Austin (TX)
- Rosanne Guy; Valdosta State University (Ga.)
- Elle Hauschen; Queens College (N.Y.)
- Natalia Holtzman; University of Michigan at Ann Arbor (Mich.)
- Amanda Jenkins; University of Iowa (Ia.)
- Kelly Jones; University of North Carolina, Greensboro (N.C.)
- Kelly Kottmer; University of Arizona (Ariz.)
- Donna Langille; McGill University, Montreal, Québec
- Erin Larson; University of Wisconsin-Madison (Wis.)
- Louisa Lebwohl; Syracuse University (N.Y.)
- Katie MacLean; University of Hawaii, Manoa (HI)
- Jeffrey McGill; North Carolina Central University (N.C.)
- Rachel McMullen; University of Southern Mississippi (Miss.)
- Amelia Midgett-Nicholson; University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (N.C.)
- Steven Miller; University of Rhode Island (R.I.)
- Bryan Nunnally; Chicago State University (Ill.)
- Mallory Nygard; Indiana University (Ind.)
- Salie Olson; St. Catherine University (Minn.)
- Joyce Peng; San Jose State University (Calif.)
- Kearin Reid; University of South Florida (Fla.)
- Sarah Rich; Drexel University (Pa.)
- Kate Sanders; University of Oklahoma (Okla.)
- Sky Seery; University of Missouri (Mo.)
- Kate Thompson; University of Alabama (Ala.)
- Emily Voss; University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee (Wis.)
- Elizabeth Waltman; University of Pittsburgh (Pa.)
- Erin M. Weber; University of Kentucky (Ky.)
Information about the program is sent to the schools each year before December 1. All official announcements about when the nomination has opened, how to nominate a student by survey (including the link to the survey), and when the nominations have been closed are made through firstname.lastname@example.org, the business e-list for the student chapters (usually those subscribed to this list are the faculty advisors and student chapter presidents).
The deadline for nominating a student is between then and whenever 40 qualifying students are accepted into the program. Because only 40 students are accepted into the program, but there are 60 active student chapters, qualifying students are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
For information about the ALA Student-to-Staff program, contact the ALA Chapter Relations Office.