The complete LITA schedule with room assignments is coming soon.
Join us for the LITA President’s Program with Kameron Hurley: We Are the Sum of Our Stories
First Time ALA Annual Conference Attendees
We've put together an informal web page with some information and links of interest to help you navigate what can be an overwhelming first experience.
LITA Preconference: Friday, June 23, 2017, 9:00am - 4:00pm
LITA AvramCamp, an AdaCamp inspired event (LITA1)
- For all: $25
- Scholarships are available, please check the details here:
- Travel Scholarships for LITA AvramCamp
- Register online for a LITA Preconference which is an ALA ticketed event.
- Call ALA Registration at 1-866-513-0760
- Onsite registration will also be accepted in Chicago if the session is not already sold out.
Interest Group Discussion Sessions
Find days, times, and locations of LITA Interest Group discussions in the ALA Annual Scheduler.
Check out this page for fuller descriptions for some of the discussion sessions.
LITA Conference Buddy Program
Apply now for the LITA Conference Buddy Program for the 2017 ALA Annual Conference
LITA is excited to announce a new program designed to make conference attendance more approachable, foster inclusion, and build connections. Inspired by the GLBTRT Buddy Program, we hope to foster stronger relationships among LITA members who attend conferences and also make attendance more enjoyable and rewarding for everyone who participates.
LITA Conference Kickoff, Friday June 23, 2017, 3:00 - 4:00pm
Executive Perspectives: A Conversation on the Future of the Library Technology Industry, Saturday June 24, 2017, 10:30 - 11:30am
Marshall Breeding, author of the annual Library Systems Report published in American Libraries, will assemble and moderate this panel of CEO or other senior executives representing organizations that produce software or services for libraries. This year's panel will include a director of an ARL library to provide reactions from the library perspective.
- Sarah Pritchard, Dean of Libraries and the Charles Deering McCormick University Librarian, Northwestern University
- Bill Davison, President and Chief Executive Officer, SirsiDynix
- Kurt Sanford, Chief Executive Officer, ProQuest
- George Coe, Chief Operating Officer for Follett Corporation, Baker and Taylor Follett
LITA Imagineering: Saturday June 24, 2017, 1:00 - 2:30pm
Generation Gap: Science Fiction and Fantasy Authors Look at Youth and Technology
- Cory Doctorow
- Annalee Newitz
- V.E. Schwab
- Susan Dennard
LITA Guide Book Signing: Saturday June 24, 2017, 3:00 - 3:30pm
Melody Condron, author of
Managing the Digital You: Where and How to Keep and Organize Your Digital Life
Rowman and Littlefield Booth #2515
Don't miss your chance to meet and have your copy signed by Melody Condron of Managing the Digital You: Where and How to Keep and Organize Your Digital Life. This book is a much-needed guide for those struggling with how to manage and preserve their digital items. Starting with a values assessment, this book helps readers identify what items are important to them personally so that they can effectively prioritize their time and effort. Covering multimedia, correspondence, legacy planning, password protection, photos, non-digital documents, financial and legal documents, and even social media archiving, this comprehensive text addresses how to get started and how to develop a plan for managing existing and future items.
Sunday Afternoon with LITA, June 25, 2017
Top Technology Trends
1:00 - 2:30pm
Location: McCormick Place, West - room 192
LITA's premier program on trends and advances in technology features our ongoing roundtable discussion by a panel of LITA technology experts and thought leaders. The panelists will describe changes and advances in technology that they see having an impact on the library world and suggest what libraries might do to take advantage of these trends. Panelists and their suggested trends include:
- Margaret Heller, Session Moderator, Digital Services Librarian, Loyola University Chicago
- Emily Almond, Director of IT, Georgia Public Library Service
- Marshall Breeding, Independent Consultant and Founder, Library Technology Guides
- Vanessa Hannesschläger, Researcher, Austrian Centre for Digital Humanities/Austrian Academy of Sciences
- Veronda Pitchford, Director of Membership and Resource Sharing, Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS)
- Tara Radniecki, Engineering Librarian, University of Nevada, Reno
LITA President’s Program with Kameron Hurley: We Are the Sum of Our Stories
3:00 - 4:00pm
Location: McCormick Place, West - room 192
LITA Happy Hour
6:00 - 8:00pm
1061 W. Madison St. Chicago Il. 60607
This year the LITA Happy Hour continues the year-long celebration of LITA's 50th anniversary, so expect lots of anniversary fun and games. Join LITA members from around the country for networking, good cheer, and lively conversation. Cash bar.
50 Years of LITA History Slide Set