- 8:30 AM-10:00 AM (Eastern)
- 7:30 AM-9:00 AM (Central)
- 6:30 AM-8:00 AM (Mountain)
- 5:30 AM-7:00 AM (Pacific)
Learn how to engage in literacy activism at your library! Now more than ever, librarians can become a part of the ecosystem of community care through literacy engagement, curation, and collaboration. This session will explore cultural strategy and co-creation as models that center literacy in an ecosystem of activism and social justice.
Librarians will learn ways to engage with cultural organizers, citizen artists, and cultural producers to bridge literacy, culture, art, and community at your library. Participants will explore authentic examples of the co-creation process and learn ways to begin their own journey as literacy activists.
By participating in this event, participants will:
- Learn ways to engage in self-work as an organization to prepare for deeper collaboration models like co-creation and sustaining partnerships by centering vulnerable communities and decentralizing power and privilege.
- Learn how to identify cultural organizers, producers, and creators in your community and ideas to help engage in co-creation.
- Leave with new models of cultural strategy across library programming, partnerships, storytime, and book clubs.
Who Should Attend
Library staff involved in community engagement, outreach, and literacy efforts will find this workshop relevant.
Janet R. Damon is the Library Services Specialist for Denver Public Schools and the founder of Afros and Books. She has more than twenty years of experience as a librarian and educator in urban schools. She has also provided diversity and equity training for librarians and paraprofessional staff in a district that serves 93.000 students and over 200+ schools.
- $79.00 for nonmembers
- $71.10 for ALA Members
- Group rate registration also available for $279.00
How to Register
- By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By Mail: American Library Association, ATTN: MACS/Online CE Registration, 225 N. Michigan Ave. Suite 1300, Chicago, IL 60601
This event will be hosted in Zoom. Please contact email@example.com for any technical questions regarding this event.
Questions about your registration should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any other questions about this event, please contact us at email@example.com.
At Your Service
Accommodations are offered based on user needs. For transcription or other accessibility requests, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.