The 2023 Standards were adopted by approval of the Council of the American Library Association (the Council) on November 30, 2023. The revised 2023 Standards eliminate redundancies, improve clarity, and infuse concepts of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion throughout the standards. The collaborative process that supported this work will ensure that these revised standards support a responsive, 21st century library and information education rooted in the fundamental principles of the profession as espoused by the American Library Association .
Implementation of the Standards is as follows:
- Programs scheduled for comprehensive review visits in spring 2026 or later will begin reporting to the 2023 Standards beginning with narrative reports due February 15, 2024 to aid in the development of the Program Presentation (Self-Study).
- Programs scheduled for comprehensive review visits in spring and fall 2025 can continue to report to the 2015 Standards but have the option to use the 2023 Standards upon written notification to the Office.
- Programs scheduled for comprehensive review visits in fall 2024 will continue to report to the 2015 Standards until after the accreditation decision is made.
- Programs placed on Conditional status under the 2015 Standards will continue to report to the 2015 Standards until after the next accreditation decision is made.
The 2015 Standards were adopted by approval of the Council of the American Library Association (the Council) on February 2, 2015. Revision of standard element V.3 was adopted by the Council on January 28, 2019.* Implementation of the Standards is as follows:
*This 2019 edition reflects an adjustment to the first sentence of ALA standard element V.3 to respond to Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) requirements that accreditors confine standards to what is necessary for student learning and achievement, “refer to resources only to the extent required for students to emerge from institutions or programs appropriately prepared” (CHEA 2010 standard 12A5/ 2018 standard 10D).
2015 Standards for Accreditation of Master's Programs in Library and Information Studies (revised 1/28/19) [pdf]
- 2015 Standards in spreadsheet format with numbered paragraphs and space for notes (revised 1/28/19) [Excel]