- Explores current and emerging technology trends in libraries.
- Organizes in-person and online discussions around the impact and importance of emerging trends. This includes the Top Tech Trends sessions during ALA’s annual conference.
- Works with other Core committees to aid in developing online programs and publications discussing emerging trends.
Displaying active committee roster as of 07/01/2024. Last retrieved on 12/05/2023. Members can log in and refresh the page to view full contact information for committee members.
The committee consists of a minimum of 8 members, including the Chair and a vice-Chair, appointed from the membership of Core by the Leadership Team of the Technology Section. Committee members serve 2-year, staggered terms.
About this Committee
- Create written procedures for selecting trends to feature at the annual conference.
- Share 3 technology trend-related resources of interest containing a 1 sentence description to be submitted to Core staff liaison each month.
- Identify topics and recruit speakers while coordinating and planning the Top Tech Trends panel at ALA Annual.
- Communicate identified trends to the rest of Core through blog posts, e-forum discussions, workshops, conference sessions, and connect discussions as appropriate.
- Communicate with other Core committees to assist in determining trends.
- Regularly monitor discussion lists and other communication channels for technology trends affecting libraries.
- Discuss with contributors the possible opportunity to repackage content with the Publication Committee.
Expected Time Commitment
- Regular meetings (~1 hour/month)
- Ongoing tracking of library technology trends (~10-20 hours/year)
- A two-year primarily virtual commitment
- The chair of the committee or alternate will act as a host for the Top Tech Trend panel at annual, which will require in person participation
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- An interest in technology
- Good communication skills
- Research skills