Conducts an environmental scan of libraries and library binding vendors on the current state of library binding as a preservation method; identifies common concerns and issues about the future of library binding; gathers and analyzes data about audience needs; and makes recommendations based on this analysis.
About this Project Team
- Survey results and analysis, compilation of major issues facing libraries who use library binding services (Spring 2023);
- Presentation of the final report at ALA Annual Conference Preservation Interest Group. (Summer 2023);
- Core Google Drive folder to collect documentation that can be handed off if this group continues after 2023;
- Recommendations for actions to take at the Core IG level.
Options to be explored
- Continuing with this survey yearly, every other year, or never again
- Creating a Library Binding Interest Group within Core Metadata & Collections
Expected Time Commitment
- Team members will meet twice monthly from March 2022 until completed.
- Additional time may be needed for research and analysis.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Project management skills;
- Understanding of basic survey design, implementation, and analysis;
- Ability to present findings in a clear and concise manner both in writing and in person.