The Top Technology Trends Committee was merged with the Emerging Technology Committee and renamed the Emerging Technology Trends Committee in 2023.
- Organizes the Top Technology Trends events held at ALA conferences;
- Selects participants to name the trends, Manages online discussions and meetings;
- Finalizes results and helps with follow-up activities.
- The Top Technology Trends will be used to plan online education, programs, and publications.
About this Committee
- Reviews nominations for the Top Tech Trends panel;
- Selects panelists based on a rubric;
- Communicates regularly with the moderator and panelists;
- On the day of the program at the ALA Midwinter Meeting (January) and ALA Annual Conference (June), onsite group members wrangle panelists, monitor the Twitter feed, take notes during the program to summarize the trends, take an audience count;
- Monitors social media throughout the year for the hashtag #ALATTT;
- Works with Communication Coordination Committee for announcements and calls for panelists.
Expected Time Commitment
- Holds 7-9 virtual meetings and 2 face-to-face meetings each year;
- Group members work an average of 2 hours per month;
- April, May, September, and October are the busiest months.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Forward-thinking, tech savvy with the ability to identify technology trends that will impact libraries;
- Organization and time management skills;
- Familiarity with Twitter;
- This Committee benefits from a diverse set of backgrounds which include library types and fresh perspectives to recognize trends and panelists;
- Leadership experience and someone with a passion for technology demonstrated through previous involvement, employment, or even academic work are the top experiences needed.