Have you ever wanted to lead a conversation with colleagues from near and far about professional development topics, without leaving the comfort of your office? You can do this by hosting a Core e-Forum! Are you a librarian required to present or otherwise disseminate your expertise to the library community for promotion/tenure consideration? Depending on your institution's criteria, you can do this by hosting an Core e-Forum!
The two-day, moderated, electronic discussion forums provide an opportunity for librarians to discuss matters of interest on a Core e-mail list. Free of charge, e-Forums occur approximately once a month and are available to anyone who wishes to subscribe.
We are currently seeking discussion leaders (moderators/hosts) for e-Forums starting in March 2023 and beyond. Moderators develop questions, and lead and provide daily summaries of the e-mail discussion. When concluded, moderators prepare an overall summary for the list as well as Core News.
View past e-Forums for examples.
Some potential topics of interest include the following:
- Personnel/staffing topics (layoffs, reorganizations, changes in role of librarian, finding diverse job candidates)
- Literacy models with high impact
- Collection development strategies, tools, etc.
- Reference services
- Management of electronic resources
- Library outreach
- Meeting patron needs
- Managing serials (print and/or electronic)
- Navigating changes in management, workflows, reorganization, etc.
- Equitable textbook access/Course reserve management/OERs
- Equity and access for underserved communities or other DEI initiatives
- Product migration (planning, selecting, implementing)
- Metadata and catalog management, useful tools
- Media accessibility
- Navigating changes in professional interests
- Emerging technology and concepts, linked open data
- Indigenous librarianship
- Managing new acquisition models, including use-based or demand-driven acquisition
- Other–your choice!
If you are interested in moderating an e-Forum or have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.