The most important part of the program will be to ensure that matches are familiar with ALSC Competencies for Librarians Serving Children in Public Libraries and the ways that they can bring them to their libraries. There are also some suggested activities below:
- Create a shared document/spreadsheet of inclusive program ideas. Encourage others to enter their own ideas/suggestions.
- Create a book list of diverse titles that you both enjoy. Discuss why you enjoy these titles, what values do they promote?
- Create a wish-list for your library. What sort of technology would you like to have? What resources would you buy?
- Conduct a survey with your match! Come up with a topic, questions, and then create a form. Contact the ALSC office if you'd like help promoting your survey.
- Do a resume/CV review. Share/critique job experiences and skills.
- Perform a mock interview. Take turns asking each other difficult interview questions (i.e. “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?”). Afterwards give written feedback.
- In advance of your meeting, each come up with 3-5 questions for the other to answer. Make sure to forward to the other person a few days before your meeting to give that person time to come up with appropriate answers.
- Discuss the qualities that make an effective manager/director. Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of managers you’ve both encountered in your previous jobs.
- What steps are you taking to address Equity, Diversity and Inclusion at your library or in your work space?
- Discuss your experiences with mock Newbery/Caldecott elections. What has worked for you? What hasn’t?
- Read an article about mentoring (i.e. resources). Discuss how it applies to your match.
- Discuss your experiences with El día de los niños/El día de los libros (Children's Day/Book Day) programs. Have you hosted an event? What has worked?
- how have either of you been involved in ALSC? Have you downloaded any of ALSC's resources or attended an ALSC event in the past?
Reading and Writing
- Read and discuss an article from Children & Libraries magazine. What did you like? What didn’t you like?
- Co-author an ALSC Blog guest post. Submit your idea for a blog post.
- Participate in National Novel Writing Month with your match. Support and challenge each other to finish your novel!
Participate in Association Events
- Participate in an ALSC Community Forum. Each come up with a question to ask the ALSC President and ALSC Board of Directors.
- Attend one of ALSC's live webinar sessions!
Are you looking for practical examples of match projects? Check out the ALSC Blog for posts about mentoring activities. Interested in writing a blog post with your match? Please contact Elizabeth Serrano, 1-800-545-2433 ext 2164.