Set up your staff to succeed! Welcome new team members to your department through strategies for effective onboarding.
This is Part Two of the three-part webinar series, "Building a Great Team: Hiring and Onboarding in Youth Services."
This program aired live on November 4, 2021.
- Participants will better understand the importance of onboarding to prepare staff to succeed in their roles.
- Participants will learn new strategies for onboarding new staff in an inclusive way that involves the whole team.
- Participants will expand their knowledge regarding resources selected for onboarding.
- Participants will understand the need for ongoing professional development and where to find it.
- Demonstrates respect for diversity and inclusion of cultural values, and continually develops cultural awareness and works to address implicit bias in order to provide inclusive and equitable service to diverse populations. (1.1)
- Identifies, engages, and supports colleagues, coworkers, and community members from diverse backgrounds to contribute ideas and skills for programs and presentations. (6.7)
- Participates in writing job descriptions, recruiting, interviewing, training, evaluating, and encouraging continuing education for staff who work with children, their families and caregivers, and educators. (6.9)
Who Should Attend
This webinar series is designed for directors, library-wide leadership, human resources staff and hiring managers, youth services department managers, branch managers, and senior and experienced youth services staff to help grow their management skills.
Amanda L. Murphy is the Branch Manager at the Brookfield Branch of Warren-Trumbull County Public Library in Ohio. She has served on many ALSC and YALSA committees, juries, and task forces over the years, including Odyssey (2017) and Morris (2012) book awards. For the past several years she has been an audiobook reviewer for AudioFile magazine and has served as an Audies Awards judge.
Maria Trivisonno is a Children's Librarian as the Mayfield and Richmond Branches of Cuyahoga County Public Library in suburban Cleveland, Ohio. She has served in a leadership capacity in the Children's Services Division of the Ohio Library Council, is a member of the advisory board of the Virginia Hamilton Conference on Multicultural Literature for Youth, and currently serves on ALSC's Managing Children's Services committee.
Becky Shaknovich (she/her) is the Department Head of the Central Children’s Department & Field Teen Center at the Free Library of Philadelphia’s Parkway Central Library. Becky earned her MLIS from the University of Pittsburgh in 2008. She has over a decade of experience in children’s and youth services in large urban public libraries, including seven years in supervisory roles.
Individual Webinar Pricing
ALSC Member: $39.50
ALA Member: $71.10
ALSC Member: $94.50
ALA Member: $170.10
ALSC is proud to offer its members a 50% discount on all their webinar purchases as a benefit of their membership. Additionally, ALSC members have access to "Members-Only" webinar archive on the Webinars and Virtual Events page. Significant discounts on quality continuing education and professional development opportunities are just one of the many benefits of membership in ALSC. If you're not a member, visit our Membership page for more information on how membership in ALSC can help you develop in your professional growth and capacities.
Cancellation and Transfer Policy:
Cancellations can be made in writing via email to the ALA/MRS department no later than the day before the webinar. Cancellations will result in a full refund less a $10 processing fee. No phone cancellations will be accepted. Refund will be processed two weeks after the webinar. ALSC reserves the right to cancel the webinar for reasons including insufficient enrollment. Cancellations after the course has begun will not be accepted.
If you are registered by unable to take the webinar you may transfer your registration to another student, if that student falls under the same registration category. (E.G. An ALSC member may transfer their registration to another ALSC member free of charge.) If you would like to transfer your registration to someone in a different category, the difference is prices must be paid at the time of the transfer. All requests for registration transfers must be made in writing no later than seven days before the beginning of the course. Transfers are not accepted once the webinar begins.
How to Register
This webinar will be available for on-demand purchase soon!
computer, Internet access
Sarah C. Polen
Program Officer, Continuing Education
Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC)
a division of the American Library Association (ALA)
T/F: 312-380-4026 | firstname.lastname@example.org