Please note: Due to COVID-19, Bookapalooza will not be offered in 2021. Thank you for your understanding
Each year the ALSC office receives nearly thousands of newly published books, audiobooks, and recordings from children’s trade publishers. These materials, primarily for children age birth through fourteen, are submitted to ALSC award and media evaluation selection committees for award and notables consideration. After each ALA Midwinter Meeting in January, these materials (published in the preceding year) need to be removed from the ALSC office to make room for a new year of publications.
The Bookapalooza Program was created to find new homes for these materials. ALSC will select one library to receive a Bookapalooza collection of materials to help transform their current collection and provide the opportunity for these materials to be used in their communities in creative and innovative ways, and enhance their library service to children and families. Since ALSC receives such a wide variety and assortment of materials, we are unable to guarantee the format and quality of content of all materials provided.
Creating a better future for all children through libraries is ALSC’s core purpose. ALSC envisions a future where:
• In every library, children come first.
• All libraries acknowledge the importance of children’s service with adequate materials and resources.
• All libraries recognize ALSC as a leader in promoting high quality service to children.
• Libraries recognize and support the value of all staff serving children.
• Resources, collections, services, and staff reflect the communities they serve.
• The library’s physical space reflects the developmental needs of children.
• Children and their families are being served by a variety of non-traditional programs and activities in off-site locations.
Recipients of the Bookapalooza collections will be announced via a press release on the ALSC website in March.
Applicants must demonstrate:
Why the collection is needed for their community.
Why the collection is needed in their library.
How the collection will be used/distributed and how acquiring the collection will help them better serve the youth of their community in creative and innovative ways.
How the library supports equity of access for its youth patrons.
Each application will be judged on the basis of:
• The degree of need in the community.
• The degree of need of the library where the materials will be used.
• The extent to which the materials will improve service to children in the community.
• The extent to which the plan for using the materials is creative and innovative.
• The clarity and effectiveness of the plan to make the materials available.
• The clarity and effectiveness of the statement of need.
Members of the ALSC Programs and Services Recogntion Committee will judge the applications based on the above criteria and choose a library that best fits the grant’s purpose.
- Applicants must be personal members of ALSC as well as ALA at the time the application is submitted. Organizational members are not eligible.
- Libraries must be located in the United States.
- Libraries must work directly with children.
- All entries must include the application cover sheet, and information about the library as described in the "How to Apply" section below and in the application.
- The application must be signed by the director of the public library, the superintendent of schools, the building-level administrator, or the director of the institution.
- Applicants must agree to accept all the materials provided by the ALSC office, with the understanding that the collection of materials is targeted primarily for children age birth through fourteen and covers a wide range of formats including but not limited to picture books, early readers, non-fiction, and audiovisual material.
- Shipping and handling charges for shipment of the Bookapalooza collection are the responsibility of the libraries selected. For the purpose of estimating shipping costs, winning collections are anticipated to weigh as much as 600 pounds and include as many as 60 cartons. Shipping rates may range from $700 - $900 when shipped at book rate.