By Michael Fosmire
Selectors gain most of their knowledge on the job, which might provide some small comfort to those librarians who find themselves plunged into the world of business, perhaps even unexpectedly. The purpose of this book, part of the Sudden Selector’s Guide Series, is to help the sudden selector through the first few months of a new position. It is a guide to becoming a competent selector in a new area and all that it entails: joining associations, finding mentors, monitoring electronic discussion lists, and of course, learning how to select materials for your collection.
- The different facets of physics as a discipline
- Liaison work with physics faculty and students
- Publication and information cycles in the field
- Lists of publishers, journals, and must-have core materials
- Cutting-edge information on open access initiatives in physics
Librarians with responsibilities for either physics collections or science reference will find a plethora of useful materials and resources in this guide, and will gain a valuable understanding of the field, what physics librarians do, and ways to use, build, and strengthen collections.
Published by: ALCTS | ©2013 | 6" x 9"
softcover. ISBN: 978-0-8389-8620-2 | $28.50 | order from ALA Online Store
PDF e-book. ISBN: 978-0-8389-9586-0 | $13.50 | order from ALA Online Store