Framing a Photo and a Paper Frame

Dear Donia,
What can I use between a paper frame overlay and a photograph?

Paper frame

Q. Dear Donia,

I have a photo with a paper frame overlay that informs the photo. I'd like to keep them together but would like to know if there's something I can put between the "frame" and the photo before I frame them permanently. This is an old photo and of purely sentimental value. Thanks, Kate

A. Dear Kate,

There are some different materials you can put between the paper frame overlay and your photograph. You could use an acid-free cotton bond paper (like the resume paper you used to be able to purchase—the more cotton content the better) and cut that to fit under the overlay. If that is too visible for you, you can use polyester, polyethylene, or polypropylene (like the photograph sleeve protectors you can get) and cut that to fit under the overlay.
Putting a barrier between the overlay and photo is a good idea but you will also want to be sure that you safely frame the photo too. If you are matting it, it would be best for the photo to use museum-quality rag matboard.  It would also be best if the glazing (glass) you use has UV protection so that the photo will not fade as quickly if exposed to high levels of light.
Enjoy your photograph, and please don't hesitate to contact "dear Donia" again if you have any further questions.