This webinar focuses on describing the process of one academic library’s journey into adoption and integration of the Resource Description and Access (RDA) cataloging rules into the monographic copy cataloging workflows, following the adoption by the Library of Congress and other national libraries. The University of Illinois at Chicago Library took a very practical and functional approach to implementation and training. The webinar covers:
- internal and external factors that affect implementation
- challenges of and practical solutions to being a single trainer at an institution
- statistical measurements of the initial workflow output
Originally presented on Wednesday, March 19, 2014.
- identify strategies for RDA implementation, training, and workflow
- comprehend one successful RDA monographic workflow implementation at an academic library
- gain an understanding of a successful training program for foundational FRBR and RDA concepts
- learn useful training tips and techniques for trainers of copy cataloging staff
Who Should Attend
Cataloging managers and those who find themselves in a position of training non-librarian copy cataloging staff.
Stephen Smith, Acquisitions Librarian at the University of Illinois at Chicago, has been a cataloger and catalog manager for more than two decades. He has trained and mentored more than fifty library school graduate assistants as catalogers and has taught numerous workshops on descriptive cataloging and authority control for library staff across the state of Illinois. Stephen produced an electronic interactive tutorial on authority control for the Illinois OCLC Users’ Group which won the LITA/Library Hi Tech award in 2002.
How to Register
No registration required. Access recording now:
Computer with Internet access (high-speed connection is best) and media player software. Headphones recommended.
Check to see if your system supports GoToMeeting: http://support.citrixonline.com/en_US/GoToWebinar/help_files/GTW010004?title=System+Requirements
If you receive a Codec error when playing the recorded file with Windows Media Player, download the gotowebinar codec file from: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/codec?Portal=www.gotomeeting.com The Codec acts as a patch that allows the recording, which is created with a higher version of Media Player, to play in version 7. For more information on playing the recording, see the FAQ.