ANO v. 22 (2011)
ALCTS Newsletter Online (ISSN 1523-018X) is published four times a year by the American Library Association, 50 E. Huron St., Chicago, IL 60611. It is an official publication of the Association for Library Collections & Technical Services (ALCTS), a division of the American Library Association. It replaced the ALCTS Newsletter (ISSN 1047-949X) in December 1998. Subscription price: ALCTS Newsletter Online (ANO) is published free of charge to anyone with Web access. Business manager: Charles Wilt, ALCTS Executive Director; Send manuscripts to the editor, Alice Platt, Managing Editor: Christine McConnell; ALCTS President 2011–2012: Betsy Simpson.
Back issues (to volume 10) are available online in the ANO Archive. ALCTS Newsletter Online is indexed in H. W. Wilson’s Library Literature.
Copyright © 2011 American Library Association.
All materials in ANO subject to copyright by the American Library Association may be downloaded and printed for the noncommercial purpose of scientific or educational advancement granted by sections 107 and 108 of the Copyright Revision Act of 1976. For other reprinting, transmission, or translating, address requests to the ALA Office of Rights and Permissions, 50 E. Huron St, Chicago, IL 60611; 1-800-545-2433.
(revised Dec. 2002, effective with volume 14, 2003)
The primary purpose of the ALCTS Newsletter Online is to report the news and activities of ALCTS and its members, and to be the voice of the association.
ALCTS Newsletter Online is issued in four numbers per annual volume. (Note: The frequency was changed to quarterly by a board motion at the Annual Conference in New Orleans in 1999, changed to six issues per year in 2003, and changed back to quarterly in 2009.)
Issues appear on approximately the 15th of March, June, September, and December. To be notified when a new issue has been posted, sign up online. To change your notification address, email Christine McConnell.
The primary focus is news and reports about the activities of the association, its groups and its members, such as:
- Summary reports of ALCTS programs, preconferences and institutes
- Preliminary information, announcements and schedules of upcoming continuing education events
- Board, committee and interest group reports and activities
- Candidates for office in the association
- Financial and other planning reports
- Schedules of meetings
- Announcements of new ALCTS publications
- Winners of awards given by the association
- Member updates: awards, honors, personal achievements, retirements, obituaries
- Background information on venues for meetings and continuing education events
For more information on ALCTS awards, publications, upcoming programs, committee and discussion group activities, and regional workshops, see the ALCTS web site (www.ala.org/alcts).
A secondary focus is reporting activities of interest to the membership relating to practice and developments in the fields of library collections and technical services, such as:
- Announcements of upcoming activities of other ALA and non-ALA groups
- Summary reports of meetings and activities of these groups
- Announcements of new standards and standards under development
- New policies and guidelines, and their effect on ALCTS members and the profession
- Legislative updates and international activities affecting the profession
- Recent publications of interest to members
- Brief articles on best practices in the field
- State or regional association activities and news
Feel free to submit news releases. ANO does not accept articles about commercially sold products.
The editor will coordinate with the ALCTS Board of Directors and the ALCTS Publications Committee regarding the general contents of each issue, as well as with the ALCTS office staff (Executive Director and others) regarding current ALCTS priorities. The editor will attempt to keep reports concise yet complete so that all members can follow the activities of ALCTS. The editor also will strive for complete coverage of the full scope of ALCTS activities and interests.
Content is due no later than the twentieth day of the month prior to publication. Issues are posted on approximately the fifteenth day of the month.
Follow these guidelines and procedures for preparing submissions for ANO:
- Original submissions
Only original, unpublished submissions will be accepted. Authors are responsible for the accuracy of statements included. Articles and reports are generally 300–500 words. Longer submissions will be considered on an individual basis.
Use the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th ed. Spell out abbreviations and acronyms. Verify accuracy of all names (both personal and corporate). Confirm that email addresses or URLs provided in submissions are active and functioning.
Use single line spacing within paragraphs. Separate paragraphs with double line spacing. Do not include highlighting, special fonts or text effects. Use only bold and italic. Do not include page numbers, and do not use headers or footers.
Photographs, figures, and diagrams are all considered as figures. Photographs may be requested for certain types of submissions, such as the “My ALCTS Experience” column. Photographs may accompany submissions. Photos for ANO should be submitted as .jpg files and no larger than 4 x 6 inches, resolution of 300 dpi or less (72 dpi preferred).
- Number each figure consecutively. Text should contain a reference to the figure(s) (i.e., “The filled boxes are then ready to go to storage. See figure 2.”)
- Provide a brief descriptive or explanatory caption for each figure (i.e., “Cooling system for the off-site storage facility.”)
- Submitting manuscripts
Submit manuscripts in Word format, preferably using Times New Roman font, 11 point. Submissions may be sent as email attachments. Email messages will not be accepted. Send submissions to Alice Platt, ANO Editor.
Since submissions carry a byline, the ALCTS Office needs a signed copyright agreement on file. After submissions are received, authors will be sent a copyright form to complete and fax to the ALCTS Office (instructions will be provided at that time).
ALCTS Newsletter Online Content Submission Deadlines
|Midwinter Committee, Interest Group, and Liaison Reports||February 1||March|
|Announcements for Annual programs, preconferences, and interest groups||May 1||June|
|Section Chair annual reports||August 1||September|
|Annual program, committee, interest group, and liaison reports||August 1||September|
|IFLA reports||November 1||December|
|Announcements for Midwinter symposia and interest groups||November 1||December|