ALCTS Strategic Plan 2015
Adopted June 26, 2015
This three-year strategic plan was developed by the ALCTS Planning Committee and approved by the Board of Directors at the 2015 ALA Annual Conference. The plan, similar in design to its 2011 predecessor, is not meant to encompass the whole of ALCTS activities, but rather those areas where increased focus is needed. The plan is fluid; that is, achieved objectives may roll off the plan prior to its expiration, while emerging areas of strategic importance may be added as warranted. The Planning Committee will make such recommendations to the Board of Directors annually and the plan will be updated accordingly. The strategic plan in its entirety will be reviewed and updated during the 2017-2018 term with the expectation that a new plan will be approved at the 2018 ALA Annual Conference.
I. Increase awareness of the ALCTS mission and activities to outside groups.
- Raise awareness of our mission and our contributions to the profession.
- Strengthen advocacy for user access to resources and information.
II. Increase participation in ALCTS activities.
- Encourage a culture of year round participation in meetings in all formats.
- Expand opportunities for virtual members to participate in Association activities.
- Reach out to under-represented and under-involved groups (support staff and students) to encourage their participation in webinars and online meetings.
III. Develop ALCTS as a vibrant, relevant organization.
- Give special attention to member retention.
- Develop a culture of continuous review and examination of programs and services to maintain relevance.
- Recruit new members, particularly students and faculty in iSchools and library programs, and public and special librarians.
- Identify and address requirements for the financial sustainability of ALCTS, particularly fundraising.