Welcome to the American Library Association's
Executive Office and Office of ALA Governance
The ALA Executive Office and Office of ALA Governance provide support to and facilitate the work of the Association and all its members, and specifically offer direct service and assistance to the ALA President, President-Elect the ALA Executive Board, the ALA Council and the ALA Executive Director. The ALA Executive Director oversees the administration and management of the Association.
In addition, the Office of ALA Governance maintains files on the work of the ALA Immediate Past President and other ALA Past Presidents of the Association.
The staff of this office:
- Oversee and coordinate the ALA Honorary Membership Award.
- Coordinate the ALA Recognition Awards.
- Conduct orientation programs for new Board Members and the incoming President-Elect.
- Coordinate and support the programs and initiatives of the ALA President and President-Elect, including the President's Program at the ALA Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference, grant-funded projects, special programs and pre-conferences.
- Report actions taken by Membership, the Executive Board and Council; monitor follow-up and implementation of those actions.
- Support the ALA President-Elect in making ALA and Council committee appointments.
Serve as liaisons for the Constitution and Bylaws Committee, the Resolutions Committee, the Council Orientation and Policy Monitoring Committees, the Committee on Organization, the ALA Nominating Committee, and special committees and task forces created by the Executive Board and Council.
Meet our staff