Ingenta Research Award
The Ingenta Research Award is given annually by the Library Research Round Table of the American Library Association to support research projects about acquisition, use, and preservation of digital information.
Example areas of research include:
- The analysis of online journal usage data to develop conclusions and predictive models which may be used by libraries and publishers in determining future behavior
- An investigation of the issues surrounding institutional archiving, particularly costs, preservation and securing the participation of faculty
- A study of information seeking behavior of readers and/or authors
- The development of future models for verifying the relative usefulness of publications
Other topics related to digital publications will also be considered.
Applications are welcome from practicing librarians, faculty and students at schools of library and information science, and independent scholars.
The Ingenta Award Jury will evaluate applications on the basis of the following criteria:
- Appropriateness of the proposed project to understanding of seeking and use of digital information.
- Significance of the problem.
- Design of the study.
- Qualifications of the investigator(s).
- Realism of the timetable.
The grant consists of up to $6,000 for research and up to $1,000 for travel to a national or international conference to present the results of the research. Expenditures must directly support research; the award does not cover indirect costs or overhead. Half of the research amount will be paid within one month of the selection of the awardee; the remaining half will be provided approximately six months later upon the receipt of a satisfactory progress report as determined by the Ingenta Award Jury Chair and the ALA staff liaison to the Ingenta Award Jury.
How to apply
- Proposal of no more than 6 double-spaced pages that provides
- overall statement of the project
- relation of the project to previous research
- research questions
- method/plan of investigation
- timetable for the work
- significance of the project
- plan to disseminate the results
- Budget (1 page)
- Curriculum vitae (2 pages)
All submissions must reach the ALA address on or before Thursday, January 31, 2008. You will receive confirmation via e-mail within two business days.
Before Thursday, January 31, 2008, email the Proposal, budget and curriculum vitae to:
American Library Association
50 East Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611
Phone: (800) 545-2433, ext. 1-4274
Please put in the subject line - Ingenta Research Award
If email attachments are not possible, applicants must send nine (9) printed copies to the address above and they must be received by Thursday, January 31, 2008.
Authors retain the right to present and publish their findings where they choose. Ingenta reserves the right to post an abstract about the project on their website.
If you are interested in applying for this award, please read the following for more information: